× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Osce June 2016 help please?

7 years 10 months ago #7528 by Bubba1128
iv.onka

mine is on saturday in swindon! let me know how you get on. good luck! x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 10 months ago #7527 by gee04
hello everybody. I am givig my OSCE exam in birmingham for the first time. really nervous. goodluck to everybody.can someone please tell me do we nee to know conscious sedation and general anaesthesia for the OSCE?

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #7526 by iv.onka
thank you bubba1128

I thought that,but prefer to ask :) Good luck withyour exam try not to stress you'll do good ;)

my exam is in Birmingham on saturday ,how about yours?

7 years 10 months ago #7525 by hasinagrg
Hi bubba
On the mixing station u have to introduce urself and state that u r wearing appropriate uniform washed and dried ur hands and that u are ready to begin mixing.it will just star to mix the cement into a sausage roll and the show it to the examiner..there will be a instruction leaflet as well so ..micing station is not that hard ..

7 years 10 months ago #7524 by Bubba1128
does anyone know on the mixing stations... (i haven't used some of the materials before) does it say on the sheet they provide, the ratio of mixing and what it is used e.g.. crown or temp filling. if that makes sense? super nervous now as its on saturday and i feel like my mind is blank and I am going to fail :unsure: :sick:

7 years 10 months ago #7523 by Bubba1128
hi iv.onka

if they are asking for upper... i think you just need to mix once for the upper tray. i think it would state if they wanted upper and lower set and then you would mix for both. not 100% as I haven't done the once before but thats what I've been told.

when is your exam and where? :)

7 years 10 months ago #7522 by iv.onka
thank you Bubba112 :cheer:
I've got another question. if there was an alginate impression to be taken for full upper or partial upper denture, would you mix twice and fill both upper and lower trays? that's what we do at work but don't know what they are expecting. :P :P

7 years 10 months ago #7521 by Bubba1128
iv.onka

Oh right i haven't seen that i just found it and thought it could help someone as its really helped me...

no worries about the gdc its just their site is down and i can't look it up has been for a few days now :(

i think when it comes to the childs appointment it can only be given to the parent or guardian not anyone such as a teacher unless given permission by the parent due to confidentiality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iv.onka

7 years 10 months ago #7520 by iv.onka
Bubba1128.
Somebody mentioned here already about Harriet Ellis and youtube videos. Im sure there is one about gdc policy. Id look for you but im at work now.

7 years 10 months ago #7519 by iv.onka
hello, im sitting my exam this Saturday. just need some help - What would you say when a parent or teacher from school asks about the kids appointment? Is it always confidential even when they are e.g. under 16?

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #7518 by Bubba1128
does anyone know the trainee nurse gdc policy please so i can revise it for the osce. the gdc website is down? thanks

7 years 10 months ago #7513 by hasinagrg
Hi p18djk
Its a bit cheeky but can u advice on what to to expect for the exams after your exam on friday i have got mine on saturday..

7 years 10 months ago #7507 by Bubba1128
just something helpful for someone taking their osce, this has helped me a lot. if you look up HARRIET ELLIS on youtube. she goes through lots of osce stations. hope this helps someone! :)

7 years 10 months ago #7506 by Stevie_G
Yes it is silly and when speaking to my tutor about this she said there isn't even a section for the examiners to mark on appearance?? I dunno there is nothing I can change in my appearance from the previous time! :unsure:
Good Luck!!! :)

7 years 10 months ago #7505 by SuzanneB35
im def not as nervous as last time as well.

Stevie_G my exam is on Saturday at Wembley.

I know what to expect but as I said the appearance is silly.

Goodluck Stevie_G

7 years 10 months ago #7504 by Stevie_G
I'm no where near as nervous this time which is a good thing as I guess we know what to expect and whats to come!!
SuzanneB35 when is your exam??

7 years 10 months ago #7503 by SuzanneB35
Hi Stevie_G,
That's sounds not fair at all regarding your appearance mark.
I think they are a bit too strict already.
This is my second time as well.

Good Luck to everyone !

7 years 10 months ago #7502 by Stevie_G
Is anyone sitting this exam Friday in Crawley first thing in the morning? This is my second time taking the exam, I cannot believe I didn't pass the first time my tutor and I went through the results I got and they failed me for appearance on the first time which I felt really insulted by my shoes were brand new closed, my uniform was brand new and ironed the morning of my nails were short, hair was neatly tied up, I had no earrings in or anything. Some students even turned up already in their uniform for registration and nothing was said a bit odd as I didn't think that was allowed. The pass mark on my form said 84% for appearance and they marked me 83.33% I think its ridiculous. Good luck to everyone who is taking it this week!! :)

7 years 10 months ago #7500 by Bubba1128
ok thanks , are you going to swindon saturday? whens your exam?

7 years 10 months ago #7499 by hasinagrg
Hi bubba
Advice indont have any just be sure to be on time for ur exams with appropriate uniform and closed shoes with no makeup n jewellers..hair tied back as they judge you on your appearance as well...and they will give you marks for your dress code as well..

7 years 10 months ago #7498 by Bubba1128
Hi jenni27

thanks for getting back to me. registration is a 3.15 in swindon on saturday. when is yours? any other advice you would do differently this time as its your second time isn't it?

7 years 10 months ago #7497 by hasinagrg
Hi bubba 1128
There werent that many instruments on the table so
There were rubber dam ,clamps,files,cavit, sorry i cant remmeber ..what time is your exam mine is also at swindon

7 years 10 months ago #7496 by Bubba1128
Hi Jenni27

Can you remember what instruments they had out for to pick from the RCT station please? My dentist I worked with only used minimal instruments as it was NHS and Im worried if i get this. any more info would be great as i have my exam this saturday in swindon :) Thanks x

7 years 10 months ago #7493 by Frankys
Gudluck p18djk and jenni27 for ur exams

7 years 10 months ago #7492 by hasinagrg
Hi p18djk
Best of luck for your exams ..can you let us noe what sort of stations came during the exams...

7 years 10 months ago #7491 by P18DJK
Hi.. I am resitting my exam on Friday in Swindon, it is just as you walk in the front doors, there will be a table that you will need to register at.
my shoes are clinical crocs but are still not accepted so I had to buy new ones this weekend!
fingers crossed for this time !
good luck everyone xx

7 years 10 months ago #7490 by hasinagrg
Hi jostewart90
I am also resittin my exam .when did u give ur osce .i did mine in jan 2016
The stations that came up was
Epileptic fit
Rct 1 instruments
Waste disposal
Labelling burs
Giving advice to avulse tooth
Micing kalxinol
Crown prep instruments
Micing alginate and hand washing technique
Labelling radiographs
Not sure what the station will be like this time ..

7 years 10 months ago #7489 by Jostewart90
Hi everyone :) I was told being vocal was not as much an issue but the more I read it seems that it is.
Does anyone have the names of the stations from this year's passed osce in Feb ? I'm resitting this Saturday :(
:unsure:

7 years 10 months ago #7481 by SuzanneB35
Can anyone outline what should happen during a possible myocardial infarction ?

What we should do step by step please

Practising medical emergencies this is one not so sure about

Thank you

7 years 10 months ago #7475 by Bubba1128
Anyone else taken their osce in swindon? Is it in the canteen area do you know?

7 years 10 months ago #7472 by STaylor94
Ok read this girlies, I hope this will be help to everybody.

I did my OSCE exam June 2014.

The exam was about an hour and I think there was about 10 stations which lasted 4 minutes each. There was about 10 of us in a group. They are very strict on appearance. Dont have any brightly colored hair if possible, minimal make up, no strong perfume and cover any piercings/tattoos and have closed shoes. Be sure to have hair tied back and bring your uniform with you to get changed once you are there.

The first bit of advice I can give is at any station always introduce yourself and say 'Hello there, my name is Stephanie Taylor, please assume I am wearing PPE and that I've washed my hands' especially at any clinical stations and if there is any PPE in front of you be sure to put it on!

In consideration to the exam be sure to study, study, study everything you've been taught. Important topics like medical emergencies, oral hygiene, fissure sealants, advice on dentures, mixing, charting etc are very likely to come up. I really found that practicing all this stuff on a family member or friend helped. For example giving advice on key topics as mentioned before..Just basically talking to them like you would as a dental nurse at the surgery is the way do it. For example saying something like 'Hi there my name is Stephanie Taylor and I am a dental nurse at this practice and the dentist has asked me to give you some advice regarding your new dentures etc'. You just have to think that these are patients who don't really know anything and just keep it simple and clear and just practice the charting as much as you can.

On the OSCE stations where you have to give advice, you might find there is an object on the table to help you. For example, the station where we had to give advice on dentures, there was a leaflet about how to take care of them which you could give to a patient and on another station was a headteacher asking if a pupil had attended his dental appointment and a day list was on the table so we had to turn it over to keep confidentiality so be sure to always check the table to see if there is anything on there. After giving a patient advice be sure to ask them if there is any questions they would like to ask.

The hot medical emergency topics are fainting and diabetes attack but we got an epileptic seizure so be sure to study everything. As mentioned before timing yourself for 4 minutes and practising on a family member really helped me. Make sure you keep calm and be reassuring. Look to see if the patient is wearing anything like a scarf or a tie and loosen it if you can, remove anything heavy from their hands and say things like 'can we call someone to come and pick you up', 'would you like us to rearrange your appointment' 'did you take your medication this morning etc' - just be caring like I'm sure you already are.

With mixing they are very keen on alginate, kalzinol and Poly F. Practice at work as much as you can and if you're not happy with your mix be sure to explain to the examiner why - to runny..to much liquid..not enough powder etc. Make sure you always check the expiry date first, fluff the bottle, always put the lid back on and wipe the spatula - its the little things that make a big difference.

When you have finished at each station say thank you for very much and move to the chair within the zone - they explain everything before hand so don't get worked up about what you need to and there are always lost of helpers on hand to help if you're stuck at all.

Other stations we had was selecting instruments for a filling - again this is something we do all day everyday but again if you're not sure ask a collegue for some help as all procedures are different. For example dont pick up an amalgam plugger for a composite filling, we also had to explain how we would sterilize a hand piece, labeling extraction forceps and showing how we prepare the work surface and selecting what we would need for a fluoride application and labeling faults on a radio graph.

Its pretty much all the stuff we do at work all day every day but just putting it into a different context.

Please email me personally if anyone wants to chat one to one.. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. :)

The examiners were all friendly and only want to see you pass.

Study hard, keep calm and try your best.

I promise it wont be half as bad as you think.

Good luck.

Stephanie x
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bubba1128, Jostewart90

7 years 10 months ago #7470 by Bubba1128
Hi STaylor94

No im going to swindon :(. Any advice though would be helpful. Thanks x

7 years 10 months ago #7467 by STaylor94
Are any nurses taking the exam that live in hertfordshire? I can really help anyone if they are

x x

7 years 10 months ago #7464 by hasinagrg
Hi there
Yes everytime when you go into the station
I just wore a normal black shoes..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bubba1128

7 years 10 months ago #7463 by Bubba1128
Hiya, did your crocs have holes in them? I had to buy mine myself as the practice said I needed them. Will be really annoyed if I have to buy new shoes. I specifically bought the medical crocs. Do you mean introduce yourself to the examiner every time? Thanks :)

7 years 10 months ago #7462 by hasinagrg
Hi suzanne we should introduce ourselves
During the hand washing technique ,was it hand washing or gel rubbing ..

7 years 10 months ago #7461 by SuzanneB35
And is it also true you must introduce yourself to the examiners ??

My college was not good at all on preparing us for this

7 years 10 months ago #7460 by SuzanneB35
I paid £50 as well for the report, a lot of work collegues told me it was a waste of time and some said just get it to reassure you.

I did not do well on communication on avulsion , again the nerves got the best of me
And X-Rays aswell

I will be prepared this time and talk up a storm lol

7 years 10 months ago #7459 by P18DJK
I hardly said anything on that one either! just did the actions. guess we needed to say, dispense gel, rub palms together, rub back of both hands, interlock fingers& rub hands together etc etc...
what other didn't you do well on ? I paid £50 for the feedback & it wasn't that great ! not very specific or detailed really ...

7 years 10 months ago #7458 by SuzanneB35
Hi P18DJK
On Hand gelling what you say during the gelling ??
This is one I did not do well as well but did all the hand gelling techniques but was not vocal enough ?
:(

7 years 10 months ago #7457 by hasinagrg
Oh okies ..mine is the 11..good luck once again..

7 years 10 months ago #7456 by P18DJK
My exam is on the 10th.. next Friday ! at 8.30 am :/ suppose it gets it out of the way. still a long time to wait I guess. oh well. good luck ! :)

7 years 10 months ago #7455 by hasinagrg
Hi p18djk
The result will be out on july 25...the same happended with me eveybody was shocked when i told them i failed..all the best for your exams..byt the way when is ur exam is it on the 10th or 11

7 years 10 months ago #7454 by P18DJK
i'm hoping I pass this time too! everyone expected me to pass so felt so stupid when I didn't! do you know how long we will have to wait to find out if we've passed or not this time? seemed so long last time.

7 years 10 months ago #7453 by hasinagrg
I didnt ask for any feedback ...hoping that this time round we will get through..i mean the exam itself wasnt hard its just the nerves that got hold me

7 years 10 months ago #7452 by P18DJK
Yes I paid £50 for my results!!
I didn't do very well on the radiography as we use digital in our practice. my professional appearance was marked down, as I had 'long nails' apparently, the wrong shoes & piercings? I only wear studs? so im getting new shoes, not wearing any earings & having no visible nails on my fingers..
I got 100% on mixing alginate, didn't do so well at the hand washing as I could hardly speak & just did the actions!
medical emergency said I didn't time the fit, but I just didn't say it.. I needed to be a lot more vocal.
got 95% on naming burs..
so a mixture really!
so have been just trying to revise radiography, & touch up things.. I know that I know it, just need to say it!
did you get your feedback? :)

7 years 10 months ago #7451 by hasinagrg
Hi p18djk
Did u ask for ur test results...and if you did which stationd did u not do well

7 years 10 months ago #7448 by hasinagrg
Hi there i too will be resitting my exam...i did introduce myself n said i was wearing appropriate unifrom a f correct set of ppe ..not sure on what basis they mark the test cos i was pretty confident about my results..

7 years 10 months ago #7447 by P18DJK
hi.. I am having to resit my exam next Friday after failing in January.
My nerves definitely got the better of me & I could hardly speak, so I know for next time to talk as much as I can as I knew more than what I said in the exam. I didn't introduce myself in each station which they say to do.
I also was marked down for my shoes! (which my workplace provided for me) they are crocs, so don't wear them !
even if you forget something important, if you have time don't forget to add it in!
I need to try & be more confident this time as I know what im doing, just hate the exam environment !
good luck ! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bubba1128

7 years 10 months ago #7445 by Bubba1128
Hiya!

Just wondering if anyone out there has any advice on the osce exam. Im super worried as I havent worked in surgery for a few months as I had to leave my job due to bullying. Ive had a rubbish course provider aswell who have been no help so does anyone have any advice. Im really worried I am going to fail because of the pressure as apparently the acting out medical emergencies is awful. Any advice from anyone who has done the exam from start to finish from what they remember would be so helpful. I cant afford to retake the exam so this is my only shot. Hope someone can help. Thanks :)

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New