× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Osce June 2016 help please?

7 years 10 months ago #7640 by hasinagrg
How did u do on xray forceps medical drugs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 10 months ago #7639 by aprilrendle
I put the brush bur in the sharps as that is what we do in surgery.
I said about the hand washing technique and PPE at all stations where we had to set up and mix and also for the waste disposal I said I would have PPE on before handling anything.
I just completely forgot to shake the bottle and check the expiry for GIC kicking myself!
Can't remember what anaesthetics I chose.
I chose the dycal lining aswell but the 3 reasons I went blank too, I think I said one reason off the top of my head but don't think it's correct xx

7 years 10 months ago #7638 by hasinagrg
There were jiggy brush bur ...yeah we do autoclave our burs in the surgery that i work...scandanest and the other couldnt remeber the name ..one had adrenaline the scandanest was plain without adrenaline...

7 years 10 months ago #7637 by Aldra
You chose autoclave for the handpiece burs?
Can't remember what I cartridges I chose, as I was nervous, but did say that I am checking the expiry date..

7 years 10 months ago #7636 by hasinagrg
The sharps rct ones sharp and the others autoclave..which local anaesthetic did u choose for crown and rct and that fractured tooth

7 years 10 months ago #7635 by Aldra
I chose the dycal lining, but when it came to give 3 reasons my mind went blank and just made up 3 reasons, whether they apply to dycal or not, not sure :dry:
Where did you guys dispose of the burs, in the sharps or autoclave ?

7 years 10 months ago #7634 by hasinagrg
Not sure what the passing mark is but from what i heard its the overall percentage of the whole lot of students who gave their test ..meaning they will first find the overall results and then find the average passing mark..not sure but that what i heard

7 years 10 months ago #7633 by hasinagrg
Instrumenting slecting was also one part..which lining did u all choose for the pt who came in with fractured incisal tooth..

7 years 10 months ago #7632 by hasinagrg
I didnt finish my xray i mean got stuck as there many things to do at one go and the papers were all over which made my mind go blank for a while..same with the forceps.....forceps all over the place..hope u girls said to the examiner like i washed my hand wearing ppe appropriate unifrom close toed shoes

7 years 10 months ago #7631 by aprilrendle
I found the MH one tricky, I made her sign it in the end purely due to what we do at our dentist but whether that was correct I don't know.
I found the unmanned stations to much to do in such a short time.
My GIC was ok I think but I forgot to shake the bottle and check expiry URGH! did it on the alginate betime I got to that station my mind was boggled! :( xx

7 years 10 months ago #7630 by Aldra
This was my first Osce and I found it very hard. Very frustrating because I did know what to do,just not enough time to finish the numerous tasks. How is it's meant to test our knowledge ? I wonder how many people actually managed to finish the radiography task ? And what was the correct answer when asked to sign for someone else ?
The gic powder had the ratio drawn on the lid, so I followed that ratio of 2drops to 1 powder

7 years 10 months ago #7629 by Stevie_G
Last time everyone got their results an I didn't get mine until like 4 days later I hope they're on time in July. Does anyone know what the pass mark rate is this time??

7 years 10 months ago #7628 by hasinagrg
we all work in different surgery and every surgery is different so the instruments and stuffs that were placed there were quite new to me..Not sure how they mark but i just hope i covered all the main areas ...

7 years 10 months ago #7627 by Stevie_G
I did 3/3 for the alginate I felt confident with that station as had that in January an I paid for the exam marks I got last time an I passed that station with ease so I think that one will be ok! I made silly errors in a couple of other stations that I could kick myself for now but hoping I've done enough! It was £600 for me to re take this exam if I havnt made it this time then I won't be bothering again. Fingers crossed we all done enough! It's just waiting until July now to find out!

7 years 10 months ago #7625 by hasinagrg
I chose the dentate tray and then did two to two in my surgery we dont do three for bigger its the same ...the alginate was enough for the tray so think it would be ok..medical history was easy but i got confused as all the questonaire on the form was already don3.so was lost for this one .gic one my consistency came good double creamy i finished this one before the time.lets hope for the best

7 years 10 months ago #7624 by P18DJK
My gic was too thick & I didn't even have time to present it to the examiner. That was my worse station by far.. but felt OK about the rest. I chose the large tray so did 3 scoops to 3 water.. but who knows what's right. We will see x

7 years 10 months ago #7623 by hasinagrg
Hi p18djk
What consistency did u get for ur gic.same for me didnt answer 2 or 3 questions on the xray and forceps.for alginate what ratio did u put .was it 2 powder level with 2 level water...i did poorly for my medical as i was confused with that thing..good luck to all hope we will make it this time..

7 years 10 months ago #7622 by P18DJK
Sorry we couldn't say the stations but it was made so clear that if we did we would be disqualified immediately. I felt a lot more confident this time around & on the advice stations I said everything I knew about that subject & just kept talking. I felt exactly the same about the radiographs & extraction station.. there was too much there to look at and not enough time at all. I did the best I could but maybe didn't answer 1 or 2 questions on each.. due to running out of time !
It was so hot in there my alginate was slightly harder than I would have like but I said that to the examiner. I messed up mixing the gic .. wahh. Just hope it was enough this time! Can't be doing it again! Now the wait begins.. good luck everyone! Xx :)

7 years 10 months ago #7621 by hasinagrg
Gee which station did u not complete

7 years 10 months ago #7620 by gee04
:ohmy: this is tooooooooooooo much

7 years 10 months ago #7619 by hasinagrg
I paid 600 in total ..300 for osce n 300 for registring with course provider

7 years 10 months ago #7618 by gee04
i agree..time was just not enough to do so much task..just not happy..how much do you need to pay for the second time? i am sure i am failed because i didnt complete two stations..i am just not happy at all..

7 years 10 months ago #7617 by Frankys
I think it was tougher than in jan.. Its my 2 nd time and i think i did my best., extraction forceps and xray were really confusing and the time pressure was too much to handle ... :( :(

7 years 10 months ago #7616 by Stevie_G
Yes, I think wanting you to do so much in such little time was ridiculous to be honest. I was very surprised there was no medical emergency though. The forceps one for me was abit all over the place an like you said the paperwork was everywhere which was really off putting. Fingers crossed we done enough!!

7 years 10 months ago #7615 by hasinagrg
Hi stevie g
I felt the same way as u.second time for me as well.did u complete all the stations.way to harder then before and was asked to do many task under 5 mins.found the table was not properly set up paper works all over which was a bit off putting cos the nerves get to u and seeing paper all over even made it worde got panic attack..

7 years 10 months ago #7614 by Stevie_G
I really wanted to post about the stations as I sat it Friday morning but we were told we couldn't sorry :( this was my 2nd time and I thought it was a lot harder than the first time I did it but 2 of the stations were exactly the same as the one in January. Some of the unmanned stations I didn't think we're very clear at all and they wanted so many tasks done in not enough time. I know if I havnt done it this time I will not be re sitting far too expensive

7 years 10 months ago #7613 by hasinagrg
Sure bubba..hope all the other girls did well..fingers crossed ..

7 years 10 months ago #7611 by Bubba1128
Yep... Did our best. Im not very hopeful though .. Let us know on here when you get your results jenni27 x

7 years 10 months ago #7610 by hasinagrg
Now all we can do is wait for the results

7 years 10 months ago #7609 by Bubba1128
i only had 4 minutes and 10 stations. i didn't have enough time to finish some of them... i tried to talk my way through everything to get the examiner to see what i knew. but i did make lots of mistakes due to nerves...

7 years 10 months ago #7608 by hasinagrg
Yes indeed the time wasnt enugh three task in a row winthin 5 minutes omg ..did u do all the stations .

7 years 10 months ago #7607 by Bubba1128
Yes jenni27

And my last because i couldnt afford to retake... It was just not long enough at some stations and it was really hard... Gutted

7 years 10 months ago #7606 by gee04
mine was first jenni27

7 years 10 months ago #7605 by hasinagrg
Not sure how they mark..was it ur first time gee04.mine was second

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #7604 by gee04
OMG :( It was soo tough..time was not enough..i was not able to complete two station..i dont think i will pass..does anyone know how do they mark? what is the passing mark?

7 years 10 months ago #7603 by hasinagrg
Bubba this was ir first time right

7 years 10 months ago #7602 by hasinagrg
Did u finish all the station

7 years 10 months ago #7601 by Bubba1128
Mine was awful :( dont think i have passed. Oh well no going back now...

7 years 10 months ago #7599 by hasinagrg
Mine also second attenpt dear..it was tougher then before

7 years 10 months ago #7598 by aprilrendle
Hi girls.

I sat my OSCE yesterday & found it tough :(
Second attempt & still not feeling great about it x

7 years 10 months ago #7597 by hasinagrg
Was tougher then the first one...how did u feel this one

7 years 10 months ago #7596 by Frankys
It was okayish jenni27 how was urs ?

7 years 10 months ago #7595 by hasinagrg
How was the exams ladies

7 years 10 months ago #7594 by Frankys
In crawley doing my last revision ... Omygod

7 years 10 months ago #7593 by STaylor94
right girls possible sterilsation scenarios are:

sterilsation of a handpiece and when i did my exam two years ago i had to explain the stages of a washer disinfection cycle.

Medical emergencies: someone mentioned about would they have to use oxygen.. again this is very very unlikey. For a faint.. you would raise there legs.. if this comes up there will be a chair or something to help you. also keep a look out for anything on the table.

the mixing ratio for gic is 1 powder to 2 powder for cements and linings and 2 powder to 2 water for fillings.

and for the girl who said about how would they read out the charting, it could be ur7 or 17. i would suggest learning both ways and the surafces. apparently it hasnt come up the last 2 years so whats to say it wont be this year?

good luck to everyone xx

7 years 10 months ago #7592 by STaylor94
to the girl who said about mixing alginate. i would always mix two seperate times and fill the upper and lower tray even if its ony for a top denture because in reality you always need a top and bottom impression - not just one. Ive never been told to only mix one impression.

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #7591 by STaylor94
if they are under 16 you can tell the parent , but not the school. if over 16 you can tell no one not even the parents.

7 years 10 months ago #7588 by hasinagrg
Wondering what the stations will be like ..

7 years 10 months ago #7585 by LO_16x
I have my resit tomorrow too :( I have no idea what to look at lol

7 years 10 months ago #7584 by gee04
i suppose jenni27 that they are not allowed to disclose...

7 years 10 months ago #7583 by hasinagrg
Waiting for students who did thier exams today how did it go advice needed as thia is my second time

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #7582 by gee04
good luckt to you also Bubba1128 ..dont think about exam now..relax and calm and do your best tomorrw..best of luck again..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bubba1128

7 years 10 months ago #7581 by Bubba1128
im not working either :( I'm giving up now too. good luck tomorrow gee04

7 years 10 months ago #7580 by gee04
i am not revising now...just relaxing now...

7 years 10 months ago #7579 by TURBOR
doing mine tommorror just revise hard guys,just nervous

7 years 10 months ago #7578 by gee04
Ive seen all herriet ellis you tube..but theere is no GIC mixing..i did so many times at work but now as i am not workinh now.. :( it is difficult..lets see tomorw now...

7 years 10 months ago #7577 by Bubba1128
gee04

look up harriet ellis on youtube, she shows you how to mix them all this has really helped me because i haven't even used some of them before x

7 years 10 months ago #7576 by Frankys
i am retaking my exams as well tomorrow and they didnt gave me ratio before maybe it was because it was kalzonal but they will tell you what surface it needs the filling for ...gudluck to everyone
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bubba1128

7 years 10 months ago #7575 by gee04
THANKS Bubba!

7 years 10 months ago #7574 by Bubba1128
gee04

I've heard they will give you the mixing ratio on the sheet you read before you go... it will depend on what your mixing for anyway which they will state in the scenario sheet... usually i was told its one drop to two scoops. Don't worry I have mine tomorrow and I am just as nervous x

7 years 10 months ago #7573 by gee04
no one is giving advice.. :( what is mxixng ratio of GIC?

7 years 10 months ago #7572 by hasinagrg
Anyone who did their exam today please can you give us some advive on what to expect ..getting nervous as this is the second time..

7 years 10 months ago #7570 by gee04
hope who gave exam today did better....can they please give advice about tomorrw exam..really appericiate..thanks

7 years 10 months ago #7569 by hasinagrg
Students who gave their exams today how was it ..any advice would be greatful.

7 years 10 months ago #7568 by Bubba1128
Good luck jenni27!

Good luck everyone who is taking the exams and fingers crossed for us all x

7 years 10 months ago #7567 by hasinagrg
Best of luck to everyon3 taking their exams today and tomorrow...

7 years 10 months ago #7566 by Bubba1128
Thanks jenni27... Nerves are getting the better of me now ahhh x

7 years 10 months ago #7565 by hasinagrg
I dont think charting will come during exam cos since the last two years no charting has come up as every pratcie is using computer charting..but even if the charting comes it will be ur7 ul8

7 years 10 months ago #7564 by Bubba1128
anyone know how the charting is called out do they use a mixture of 'ur7' and '17' ?? I'm so stuck as i only really did computer charting. i know I'm going to be under pressure on the day so i want to be prepared. not even sure on surfaces such as labial and lingual etc as my dentist just used to say palatal and buccal. :(

7 years 10 months ago #7563 by ingusia
yea it must be similar ..good luck tomorrow

7 years 10 months ago #7562 by naomiclark2
I am so nervous! First time for me tomorrow morning (hopefully the last) Its nice to hear you get a booklet before..so you can prepare yourself a little. Good luck everyone!

7 years 10 months ago #7561 by Stevie_G
I've just gone over all medical emergencies. Advice for oral health, dentures,pre & post operative advice, burs. So I guess the same as last time really! This is my 2nd time as well really hope I pass this time!! If anyone is staying in Crawley at the hotel tonight could maybe revise??

7 years 10 months ago #7560 by gee04
best of luck to all

7 years 10 months ago #7559 by ingusia
hi girls,
my osce tomorrow Wembley... second time im so scare... interesting what the questions gonna be..its my second time.. :( any advice to recall? thanks

7 years 10 months ago #7558 by Bubba1128
good luck p18djk you will do great!! thanks for the advice on fainting, i thought so... apparently you can rest their legs on your shoulders. so will just have to see. hope it all goes well. if you could let me know how you get on as i have mine in swindon on saturday!

7 years 10 months ago #7557 by Stevie_G
I'm the same P18DJK I'm travelling up now to Crawley to stay the night as mine is 8.30
tomorrow morning eeeeek!! Good luck!!

7 years 10 months ago #7556 by hasinagrg
No idea......on that just a rough idea would do tho

7 years 10 months ago #7555 by P18DJK
will it be the same on the Friday to the Saturday ? don't want to get a telling off if its the same haha.

7 years 10 months ago #7554 by hasinagrg
Good luck p18djk
Can you tell us what sort of station came in during the exam...now am getting nervous..

7 years 10 months ago #7553 by P18DJK
I have been getting some last minute revision in today as my exam is at 8.30 am tomorrow in Swindon! travelling up after work this evening.. agghh.. nervous. :dry: I have been going over medical emergencies today too .. im guessing you would just elevate their legs yourself holding them up in the air.. or if there is props to use then go for it. its so awful not knowing what your going to get.. this time tomorrow it will all be over for the 2nd time.. then have to wait for what feels a lifetime for the results! Good luck to everyone :)

7 years 10 months ago #7552 by Stevie_G
Hi Jenni
I was told you are not allowed to let them know anything an if there is a piece of paper on the table for example day list turn it over, an mention things like data protection act etc

7 years 10 months ago #7551 by Bubba1128
does anyone know with the fainting procedure what you would use to prop the patients legs up in the exam if they fall to the floor? will there be a chair there if not what do you use? thanks

7 years 10 months ago #7550 by hasinagrg
Any one got any idea on how to deal with a truancy officer who wants to see if a child from his school has attended his appt or not

7 years 10 months ago #7548 by Bubba1128
thank you stevie_g

i will make sure i know all of those. glad to hear they give you a booklet :)

7 years 10 months ago #7546 by gee04
thanks jenni27.my exam is on saturday in birmingham

7 years 10 months ago #7545 by gee04
thanks stevie_G!
i think for all other ME there will be no oxygen..

7 years 10 months ago #7542 by Stevie_G
yes like developer etc also I was told to make sure I know how to label an X-ray film like black paper, lead foil etc. Really on the day it could be anything but you get a little booklet 30 minutes before you go into the exam an it tells you what all the scenarios are going to be :)

7 years 10 months ago #7541 by Bubba1128
thank you stevie_g!

do you mean labelling the tanks for the X-ray machine?

7 years 10 months ago #7540 by Stevie_G
Hi gee04, When I did the exam in january the medical emergency was a seizure all there was in that station was a clock on the table obviously to time the fit. There wasn't any oxygen mask or anything like that so I wouldn't panic about that too much :)

7 years 10 months ago #7539 by Stevie_G
The x ray one was grading them, I thinking labelling the tanks (i can't remember) but i know the other one was to label the faults with the x rays like what caused the x ray to blur etc again that was unmanned station so time to answer an compose yourself really ready for the next station. :)

7 years 10 months ago #7538 by Bubba1128
thanks jenni27!

i never picked put my dentists burs so its hard to remember . is it just grading the X-rays? its this saturday in swindon x

7 years 10 months ago #7537 by hasinagrg
Hi bubba
Yes the burs and xrays was the easiest ones.when is ur rxam

7 years 10 months ago #7536 by hasinagrg
Hi gee04
We didnt get sterilisation during the the exam in jan but from what i heard During the exam in jan2015 they were asked about how onr would sterilise a hand piece.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gee04

7 years 10 months ago #7535 by Bubba1128
thank you so much! jenni27 and stevie_g!!

so will it just say for filling, crown prep etc or does it ask you in detail what the bur is used for? x

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #7534 by gee04
which station is the toughest ? do we need to give oxygento the patient in medical emergencie? i dont know how to give oxygen :( i am really worried..

7 years 10 months ago #7533 by gee04
can someone pleasetell me what do they ask in sterilisation? do we need to explain everything?

7 years 10 months ago #7532 by Stevie_G
Hi Bubba,
Yes exactly what Jenni said that station was by far one of the easiest as its unmanned so its actually nice as its like a little breather :)

7 years 10 months ago #7531 by hasinagrg
Hi bubba
The burs ones are easy .there were ten burs sealed each sealed in a plastic pouch and labelled with numbers1-10.and then we had a question sheet and there we had to write the answer.like for ex which bur is used to trim an acrylic denture.you look theough the burs and write down the no of pouch in which the denture bur was placed.hope this help

7 years 10 months ago #7530 by Bubba1128
can anyone give me advice on the labelling bur station. what are the images like and exactly how much detail do they want you the label? thanks :)

7 years 10 months ago #7529 by Bubba1128
hi jenni27

thank you! my dentist only really used GIC, life and alginate . I've heard of the others but rarely used them only really with other dentists and now I am not working in surgery my mind keeps going blank on what all the others are used for. i was just worried I would have to explain to the examiner what the uses were and I was worried I would go blank and panic. i know most of them are used for temp fillings, base of fillings and luting cements I just get confused sometimes about what is used for what...

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New