Now every nurse can be competent!
The aim of this course is to provide level 2 training for nurses to become competent and confident in applying fluoride varnish under the prescription of a dentist or as part of a structured oral health programme. We also teach the NEBDN Level 4 Fluoride Varnish Application.
What the course will cover:
- Clinical patient management, patient care, standards, communication.
- Scope of practice, consent.
- Delivery of the correct knowledge, content and application of Delivering Better Oral Health, together with an explanation of the use of evidence-based statements.
- Principles of oral health education and promotion.
- History, use and benefits of fluoride.
- Clinical evidence in support of the use of fluoride varnish, particularly DoH.
- Carious process and fluoride’s role in preventing occurrence/recurrence.
- Dental anatomy in health and disease.
- Contraindications for the use of fluoride varnish and fluoride toxicity.
- Application of fluoride varnish.
- Online tutorials.
- Downloadable booklet.
- Affordable extended-duties course.
- Tutor support.
- Flexible learning.
- Nationwide availability.
- Fifteen hours of Verifiable CPD.
- Certificate of Competence awarded upon successful completion.
(Course information updated on 23/09/22)
- An online course which includes watching tutorials and completing multi-choice questions.
- Practical learning/ROC portfolio to be completed under the supervision of a dentist or suitably trained dental care professional.
- Course booklet.
- Tutor support throughout the course including email support and access to zoom support.
Module 1: Introduction to Oral Health Education and the Delivering Better Oral Health Toolkit
This module provides an introduction (or a refresher for dental nurses who are already trained in oral health education) to oral health promotion and the Delivering Better Oral Health Toolkit. It consists of 3 units:
Unit 1: Essentials of oral health education
Unit 2: Prevention of periodontal disease and oral cancer; smoking and alcohol cessation
Unit 3: Diet and non-carious tooth surface loss
Module 2: Caries, Dentine Hypersensitivity and Fluoride
This module reviews the aetiology of caries and dentine hypersensitivity and aims to provide an understanding of the history of fluoride in dentistry. It considers the mechanisms that work to help prevent caries and hypersensitivity and provides an understanding of the current evidence base for using fluoride in dental disease prevention. It consists of 2 units:
Unit 1: Dental Diseases and Fluoride
Unit 2: Oral Health Promotion and Fluoride
Module 3: Fluoride Preparations and the Safe Use of Fluoride in Dentistry
This module takes a detailed look at the different types of fluoride preparation available in dentistry, the safe use of fluoride products (including identification of contraindications to their use), and potential side effects (including the management of fluoride toxicity and adverse reactions). It consists of 2 units:
Unit 1: Fluoride preparations and Patient Safety
Unit 2: Fluoride Varnish Application Procedure
Module 4: Patient Management Skills
This module considers managing patient concerns with regards to fluoride varnish application/fluoride use in dentistry and discusses the importance of understanding and identifying different types of patient to provide a patient-based approach to appointments. It consists of 2 units:
Unit 1: Patient Communication and the Fluoride Debate
Unit 2: Patient Groups
(Course information updated on 23/09/22)
Record of competence (RoC):
You are expected to record ten log sheets, comprising five adults and five young adults and children. You have a maximum of three months to complete your RoC.
The RoC is now typed up, not written. Microsoft word is required OR Google Docs which is a free version similar to Microsoft Word.
The role of your supervisor/mentor:
- Your written record of competence should be completed under the supervision of a dentist, hygienist, therapist or trained dental nurse.
- They are expected to guide you through your practical training including demonstrating the procedure to you, signing off your portfolio and writing comments on your progress.
The course is taught through our academy website here and includes recorded online video tutorials, which include bite-sized videos followed by multi-choice questions. You can test our online learning systems, listen to one of the tutors Melanie and gain free verifiable CPD here.
Stephanie Carter RDT, RDH
Registered Dental Hygienist and Therapist: 119601
Qualifications: Diploma Dental Hygiene and Therapy, National Certificate Dental Nursing, Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training, Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement, NEBDN Certificate Dental Radiography, ILM Level 3 Award in Leadership and Management, Smoking Cessation Counselling Levels 1 and 2, Young Counsellors Certificate
Melanie Pomphrett RDH, MSc, PG Cert.
Registered Dental Hygienist: 259337
Qualifications: Masters in Professional Practice, Post Graduate Certificate in Education, Foundation Degree of Science in Oral Health Science, Advanced Diploma in Dental Nursing.
Emma Leather RDN
Registered Dental Nurse: 148732
Qualifications: NVQ Level 3 Dental Nursing, Level 5 Diploma in Leadership & Management, Level 4 National Certificate in Internal Quality Assurance, Level 3 Award in Education and Training, Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement, Oral Health Education (BDA)
Competency Training: Impression-Taking, Fluoride Varnish Application
Hilary Urry RDN
Registered Dental Nurse: 139277
Qualifications: Foundation Degree in Advanced Dental Nursing (University of Kent), Certificate Dental Radiography (City University London), Level 3 Certificate in Education and Training, Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement, Level 2 Mental Health Lead.
Competency Training: Fluoride Varnish Application
- Monday 5 June 2023 - Available
- Monday 4 September 2023 - Available
We now offer the option to pay over three months. Please be aware, this increases the fee to £132.00 inc. VAT.
Payment due dates:
- 5 June 2022 £44.00 (Non-refundable deposit)
- 5 July 2023 £44.00
- 5 August 2023 £44.00
We will NOT send reminders of payment due dates. Failure to make payment by the due dates will result in automatic removal from the course.
Please note, your certificate of competence will not be awarded until full payment is made.
Paying by payment plan? Please use enrolment form HERE.
Discounts must be requested before payment is made. We do not automatically apply discounts.
Please note that discounts are applied to the VAT-exclusive fee: £91.67. Discounts cannot be applied to payment plans.
Multiple applicant discounts
- Two applicants: 5% discount
- Three applicants: 10% discount
- Four or more applicants: 15% discount
Multiple course discounts
- Two courses: 5% discount
- Three courses: 10% discount
- Four or more courses: 15% discount
Please apply by telephone or use the application form here. DNN will send you an invoice.
Please note, you should only request an invoice if your practice is paying for you, therefore requires an invoice.