Most important to Dental Nurses?

13 years 10 months ago #384 by lady-laura
i definitely feel true appreciation from the dentist and the practice is the most important thng. respect and thankyous and please's. theres no reason for there not to be that. it is hard sometimes when you know you work your arse off so much and you dont even get a thankyou. its so nice when you get a thankyou, makes you feel like youre a little bit worth it! be happy, work life is what you make it! :cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 10 months ago #356 by dental73
:) Having been in the industry since 1985 and having qualified as a DSA who then became a DN, but essentially whether assistants or nurses we are the backbone of the business who are there to support nuture and promote the practice whilst attending to every whim of the principal and then have to be grateful to them when they give us that great pay cheque every month (which very often is so not great!)
Dont get me wrong I love this proffession but dentists are a breed apart from any other normal human beings and I think that they all need to go on a course which actually shows them how to be respectful to their fellow proffessionals which, girls and boys is US!!! Now I feel much better x x :)

13 years 10 months ago #350 by shazza
Better not be in my job description or my boss will be sporting a black eye!! ;)
I do understand what you're getting at but it took years to get the job title Dental Surgery Assistant changed to Dental Nurse so why accept being viewed as just an assistant. Certainly my role with my dentist goes way beyond that.

13 years 10 months ago #349 by Vms118
Is it really that hard to swallow that we are "assistants"? I mean professionals, yes, due respect, yes. But essentially we are assisting the dental surgeon to perform clinical procedures, I'm sure if you checked your job description you'd find it many times.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

13 years 10 months ago #343 by sofiameds08
my view is appreciation

the best way to show appreciation is through a great pay

if the dentist/staff are showing appreciation, it creates a atmosphere of safe and comfort and therefore worth-being their and that makes it fun.

also with a great pay comes responsibility and that makes life challenging and fun

I used to get bored at work because I didn't have much responsibility.

13 years 10 months ago #333 by GURU
Appreciation and respect as another professional working together.... but I cant see that happening as these d**khead are not trained to respect nurses. They need a shot in the bottom, to remind that we not not their "assistants" but fellow professionals.

13 years 10 months ago #332 by ross
I agree all of the above is important, but particularly appreciation, a little bit wouldnt go a miss

13 years 10 months ago #329 by scott
they know this deep in their hearts to be true

13 years 10 months ago #328 by shazza
I tell my boss on a daily basis that all he does is drill holes and I do everything else!!

13 years 10 months ago #327 by scott
that does soung like you have a great job and a great boss and it is nice to hear, my bosses are not horrible they just do not seem to realise just how much you put into the job.

13 years 10 months ago #324 by shazza
Aah gotcha. I lead a sheltered life!! Didn't realise there were so many horrible dentists out there. Reading all the posts on all the subjects has made me realise I am quite lucky. I have worked with the same dentist for over 20 years. He says thankyou at the end of every day. I get 6 weeks paid holiday, 7 Friday mornings off (we only work half day on Fridays) with pay to take when he's on his implant course and if he's on holiday as long as all the work is done I can do what hours I like. All this and I get paid 11.16 an hour. Think he will get lots of cups of tea tomorrow!

13 years 10 months ago #323 by scott
the dentists thinking us nurses are.

13 years 10 months ago #322 by shazza
scott, don't understand your post. Who's a retard or sub standard?

13 years 10 months ago #319 by scott
either a retard or sub-standard hey these dentists need to recognise us for who we are, that would be appreciated

13 years 10 months ago #318 by shazza
I agree , all of the above! Can think of nothing worse than being trapped in a room for 8 hours a day with a miserable dentist!

13 years 10 months ago #316 by dental73
All of the above should go without saying, but a simple 'thank you' when you have done something above and beyond your call of duty would go a hell of a way to making you feel good about yourself and the fact that you are appreciated ...Or is this too much to ask for?

13 years 10 months ago #315 by DentalNurseNetwork
What is more important to you?
Appreciation? Pay? Responsibility? Fun?

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New