matrix bands

7 years 8 months ago #7860 by coleenwinton
I used to have gaps between my upper front teeth and I'm really worried about it. I searched until I found Orthofill. Orthofill is one of the dental bands that specializes teeth gaps. Really effective, ease to use and affordable. You can try it too. Just visit www.orthofill.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 3 months ago #3370 by MLA
Hello,
At my practice we send the matrix holder and band through the sterilising process as it is when used. Then the band is carefully taken off, using a Spencer wells forceps, and the new band and holder is sent through (separately)yet another time. First after that, the new band is put on.

I am wondering for what reason the band should go in amalgam waste? It is not made out of amalgam but it is sharp so, sharps bin would be the place for it. :unsure:

11 years 3 months ago #3355 by MrsW
Hi.
The practice manager at my previous practice spoke to the PCT regard this as it was confusing everyone. The advice we were given was to keep the matrix strip on the holder until AFTER sterilisation. So, I've been doing that for the past year or so...although it doesn't make much sense to me as the way I see it, you're not cleaning it correctly if the strips still in the way?
I currently dispose of mine in the sharps bin. We've been confused with it at times, being told one minute they should be disposed of in the amalgam waste pots, then being told sharps....confusing!!
It changes so often it's ridiculous. :)

11 years 3 months ago #3307 by surfergirl
We have an amalgam waste pot which also states that it is for used amalgam bands. We don't place them in the sharps bin anymore. The holder is sterilised along with a new band which is assembled afterwards. The second sterilisation after asembling is something I will look into. Many thanks.

11 years 6 months ago #2835 by MLA
As mentioned above, it all depends on what type you use, how to treat them.
In all cases , the actual band, should be discarded ( if not the whole matrix band and holder).
In one case, if metal, the actual holder can be reused if sterilised. Then the new band must be sterilised as well.
( the holder is sterilised after the band is taken off, after that sterilising a new band is put on and a second sterilising cycle is done).
Simples! :)

11 years 6 months ago #2829 by Louise
I never reuse matrix bands as they are impossible to clean or sterilise properly.

11 years 6 months ago #2820 by MLA
Hello,

It really depends on what type of matrix you are using.
Some are plastic with metal band, some are only plastic and some are only metal.
The plastic one with metal band, must be thrown away as it is for single use but the metal band goes in the sharps bin.
The fully plastic goes in the normal surgery bin as it also is for single use.
The fully metal one can be sterilised and reused BUT the metal-band must go in the sharps bin and it is sharp and for single use. The new metal band, put on the holder, also must be sterilised before use.
:)

11 years 6 months ago #2795 by Ekw
Hi there, I would consider it as a used sharp once it's been used so I usually just take it off and then dispose straight away, there would be no need to rinse if your going to dispose of it. If you can (and have time!) take the band out with tweezers to avoid a sharps injury while it's dirty I do this in theatre im happier doing as much as I can to avoid a sharps injury. Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kcp

11 years 6 months ago #2792 by kcp
Can anyone tell me the correct way to dispose of matrix bands, some nurses dispose afteruse and others rinse and sterilize then dispose?

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New