Lead Dental Nurse Role/Duties

11 years 6 months ago #2834 by starlight17.02
Ekw: I have requested to be the lead nurse, my practice manager will discuss it with my principal dentists first and then make a decision. Nervous much!! I would like to work in a hospital and will keep on applying...

Vms: oops!!! will go have a nosey shortly. :)

P Hylton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 6 months ago #2822 by Vms118
Not that you were meant to know, but the reason for slow responses may be that this topic has been done already -

www.dentalnursenetwork.com/forum/4-work-...nior-nurse.html#2011

:)

Victorus Aut Mortis.

11 years 6 months ago #2794 by Ekw
I did my radiography certificate it's a good one to have that and sedation if your practice does this. To work in hospital you shouldn't "need" a post certificate although sedation is always desirable. You would have to have a good read of the job description really, if your Scotland you'd be part of "agenda for change" (I'm assuming England is the same" which would mean any DN post in community or hospital would be the same pay scale and have similar or the same responsibilities if it's for the same position (ie) ortho or pads. Jobs in max fax or oral surgery would maybe require full sedation for me in theatre I don't have sedation but I do IS in a clinic which is in house training. Don't let lack of post Certs put you off applying I work with plenty of nurses who don't have any. Hope this is helpful!
The following user(s) said Thank You: starlight17.02

11 years 6 months ago #2790 by starlight17.02
Hello Ekw, and thank you for your input on the subject. Indeed, I do work hard, but I do enjoy all the aspects of it. I also cover reception at times, hence the additional responsibilities.
The OPG report and x-ray solutions changing procedures are only for our 2 new members of staff (they started 1-2 months after me), it is part of their training and I guess my principal is assessing how good their good knowledge is and how keen they are about their position.
Out of curiosity, how does a DN, without any post-certification (although, I do intend to take dental radiography next year) land a job in a hospital?

P Hylton

11 years 6 months ago #2785 by Ekw
Hi there, I agree with vicki for only being in post for 3 months you have obviously worked hard and have become someone your clinicians can rely on which is great for the CV. Training new staff and inductions are usually the seniors role where I am, I'm a senior DN in a hospital and I have the responsibility of training new staff and delegating tasks to keep day to day running going smoothly, it is different in hospital as we are banded and we work within our post outline but I do delegate certain areas unofficial deputies if you like are what you'd call them. If as you've said you have a senior/lead nurse If you are taking on roles she did when she was full time I'd def ask for a meet with the lead clinician regarding your position and possibility of pay to match role. They can only say no but I wld thnk they would respect you for asking. If not a success if you ever apply for a senior post you will have excellent experience!
When you say you had to get staff to write report on OPG and developing was this for your in house protocol?
Good luck

11 years 6 months ago #2782 by starlight17.02
Hello Vickstar84, thank you very much for your response. I have started working at the practice only 3 months ago, and yes, I am someone whom all my colleagues seem to trust. I genuinely like what I do... and I am very enthusiastic and do not mind taking responsibilities. We do have a lead nurse, but she now works only once a week... I had familiarised myself with the practice with the help of the practice manager and other dental nurses.

I will definitely try to ask for tiny pay rise, but as you mentioned, even if they say no, the title of me being a lead nurse will look great on my CV anyways.

Thank you again. :)

P Hylton

11 years 6 months ago #2761 by vickstar84
I would say you are obviously a key member of your dental practice and from the roles you are describing you seem to be somebody who the dentists can trust to perform such tasks :) I work in hospital and we have senior nurses so not really sure how it works in practice with the lead/head nurse. I personally would ask the head dentist what role you have at the practice, and if you are(they see you as) head/lead nurse could they consider a small pay rise as you are taking on extra responsibilities and often doing work at home looking up infection control information and printing information of for the other nurses?!? if they say no at least you can be safe in the knowledge that you will have a glowing CV which states the extra work you do in the practice which in my opinion is always a bonus, and the fact you are training new staff looks really good. have you already got a head nurse in the practice? and if yes what is her role?

11 years 6 months ago #2753 by starlight17.02
Really?? No one...?? I have been ask by one of my principal dentists to tell the newest members of staff to write a report on OPG and another one on the processing of x-rays and the changing of solutions and report back to her. I have also been told to make a log of the number of instruments from each surgery and give the copies to all members of staff. I have also been asked to take responsibility for infection control. Is it what a lead nurse does?? I don't want to be telling my colleagues what to do and them thinking "who does she think she is?" I am an excellent team player and we are a very good team at my practice. But I am unsure where do i stand now?? Also, is someone who is being made the lead entitled to a small pay rise?? I am unsure of this, so any advice anyone???? Please?
Thank you. :)

P Hylton

11 years 6 months ago #2723 by starlight17.02
Hello,

Can anyone shine some light on the duties and responsibilities of a head/lead dental nurse please?? Does actually put you in a senior position to your other dental nurses?? I would love to find out.

Thank you!!

P Hylton

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New