Late starter

5 years 7 months ago #8805 by justlaugh2
i too was a late starter and am sitting exam in April, il be almost 49 by then! many pros and cons for older/younger nurse.
ive been told by my employer that age is no barrier,
zero sick days,
zero chance that id be out at all hours and turning up late,
zero time off to deal with sick children,
zero days off for childcare issues,
zero chance that id be off on maternity to name but a few,
ive been told that even as a trainee i knock spots off some of the qualified nurses. so if youre not afraid of hard work you go for it, i love it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #8673 by unflappable
Dental nursing is really hard work. There is simply endless work to be done in not enough time, I often go home feeling I have run a marathon. Many dental nurses suffer leg vein problems due to hours of standing (as do theatre nurses). Also respiratory problems, back problems, RSI in the wrists, skin problems or burnout due to the physical and emotional demands of the job. Most bosses will choose a younger candidate. They will also forget your loyal service and discard you if you get ill. (Hence the continual demand for more dental nurses).
Having said that, I love my job! All the dentists ask for me and I run rings around nurses 20 years younger.
If you're fit, speedy and game enough. ... go for it! The training through the dental hospitals is more highly regarded than that from independent training providers.

6 years 2 days ago #8660 by Emmi
It might be more difficult for you only because I think the advantage of having a younger trainee is that they are not likely to have mortgage, bills, kids etc which can make study and living off trainee wages difficult. We have had trainees back out after a lot of effort has been put into their training because the pay/study didn't fit their lifestyle.

but as long as in interviews you are upbeat and show that you understand the commitment involved in a traineeship you should be fine!

6 years 2 weeks ago #8647 by Latestarter
I’ve just joined the network as I’d like to train as a dental nurse/assistant.
I’m in my 50s, do you think I would realistically be able to get a job afterwards? I’m thinking of training with a private company who said they can help find me work (paid or voluntary) to complete my training portfolio in order to qualify?

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New