Cosmetics

6 years 2 months ago #8593 by Rebecca0987
I have looked a bit in to in already. You do not need to be a nurse perscriber to administer botox. You either need to work with a perscriber who can perform an assessment on the patient.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 2 months ago #8587 by janet123
Actually, this is not something you can do as a therapist or a hygienist according to the GDC. The GDC's "scope of practice" document states that only dentists are allowed to administer non surgical cosmetic injectables as an additional skill. This means that the GDC recognises this as a skill of a dentist and wont take action against them if they undertake this task while identifying themselves as a dentist.

However, that being said, there is no legislation in the UK that prevents a non medically qualified person from carrying out botox or filler treatments. So, Jodes may be able to provide botox and fillers, but she must not identify herself as a dental nurse when doing so, as this is not part of a dental nurses scope of practice.

You are also correct in saying that botox is a prescribed medication, but fillers are not. If jodes was correctly insured to provide botox treatment then it would need to be prescribed by either a dentist, doctor or nurse prescriber first.

Also, once you have your NMC registration, yes you will be profesionally responsible for administering any drugs that you are told to, but you are not yet responsible for prescribing. For you to administer botox you would also have to have either a dentist, doctor or a nurse prescriber clinically examine the client first and then allow the botox to be administered by yourself.

6 years 3 months ago #8570 by Rebecca0987
I dnt think you can do this as a dental nurse. You can as a therapist. I am looking at doing this myself but i am soon to be qualified as an adult nurse. I think the rationale for this is because the botox/fillers are prescribed medication and have to medically qualified. As a student nurse i complete medication administration via all routes under the supervision of my mentor, when i qualify with the NMC i will be professionally and legally responsible to do this on my own. I think there are courses that you can go on that are designated for beauty therapists.

6 years 3 months ago #8561 by Jodes0803
Hi! I’m currently a trainee dental nurse however I want to go into aesthetics afterwards like Botox and fillers! Can you go on a training course and do this or do you have to become a therapist first?

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New