Getting back into dental nursing

6 years 7 months ago #8414 by jilleah
Hi Karen
I too thought I was out of the game but fortunately not so..
I qualified in 1997 and left in 2001 to have my daughter.
I returned to dental nursing January this year. 15yrs out!
As I had never been on the GDC register I just needed to register for the first time which took a week.
I would give the GDC a call.. they were very helpful!
Jill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 7 months ago #8413 by Zrdn3
Hi,
i just re joined the DNNet and may be late to give advice. If you did not keep up to date all this time with all GDC requirements, you would be expected to provide 50 hours verifiable plus 150 non hours study. then re enter the register and you will be ready to go back to any dental nurse job. I would love you to be in our team, as I personally think nurses with years of experience are the best asset for any practice. Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SmilingDCP

6 years 8 months ago #8376 by SmilingDCP
Hiya!
Firstly, you are not too old, and if employers are looking at age over experience, it is wrong.
You may want to get in touch with the GDC as you are a qualified nurse, so this means you can't practice without being on the GDC register. As your registration has lapsed, it could take up to 3 weeks to get all the paperwork processed, so this may be something the employers take into consideration, as well as being up to date with CPD. The GDC and CQC are so strict now. If you are considering coming back to nursing, I would update Core CPD (medical emegencies, cross infection, BLS etc). There is some free CPD available on this website. This may help your applications.

I went back to nursing after 20yrs, but I was enrolled on a course so was able to secure a trainee position, but if you are qualified, you do need to be registered and demonstrate that you are up to date with current knowledge.

Hope this helps! X

6 years 8 months ago #8375 by karen55
I am hoping somebody can give advice
I qualified in 1988 and worked in practice until 2003.
I got my certificate in Oral Health Education in 1996 and then managed 2 practices.
I am now considering going back to dental nursing.
I believe I need to be registered and I have applied for jobs but unfortunately had no response.
Is this because
1. I am not registered (I am willing to pay if I get the job)
2.I have been out of the game for too long?
3. I am too old :(
Please Help x

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New