New to dental nursing!

7 years 5 months ago #7977 by ambarose
Just dont panic! Take your time. Most dentist should be aware that you are training and will need time to learn the procedures and instruments. Buy a textbook and just study the more you read the easier it will be in surgery. Most normal people will not get angry at you as you are learning and most are happy to help if you are not sure. My main advice would yo be if you dont know ask! Makes life a lot easier. I dont find the job very stressful but there are times when you are running late that it can get a tiny bit. You just have to keep going and be positive. Ask your dentist lots of questions. Ask them why they are doing things and why they are using certain things. I find if you understand the procedures inside out it helps you to assist and prodict what the dentist might want/ use next.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 7 months ago #7892 by karolinka29
hey Ella are you available to answer some questions please ?

I am a newbie lol

7 years 7 months ago #7891 by karolinka29
hello yes please if you could tell me more about it I just got =job as a dental trainee nurse but I am scared I will fail,,, sometimes I get distracted quickly so I guess this wont help

do I have to know all names and procedure etc.?

is there any room for mistake ?

thank you kay xxx

7 years 8 months ago #7855 by nursewiggy
Hi Ella

I have been a dental nurse for 15 years and a lot has changed since I was trained but my experience with other nurses doing the course is good, many girls I know passed on their first attempt. and now once your on a course many practices do offer jobs to trainee nurses so its good to get in surgery training.
Its a fairly stressful job wit lots of do's and don'ts but as long as you stick to the regulations its a very rewarding job.
Obviously like any job it has its cons, one of which is the level of pay... I really struggled when I first started as I was only earning £95 a week... but that was 15 years ago :)
but with experience the pay does improve. also if your able to work with an agency they normally offer more money and holiday pay but with the set back that you may not always have work. I love being a dental nurse and I would recommend the job to anybody ( as long as they are not squeamish :sick: ) Its a job where your work is different everyday and you get to build good relationships with patients I've been In my current practice for 9 years now and its like a little family here.
so good luck if you decide to go ahead. I'm sure you'll love it as much as me :)
Holly

7 years 8 months ago #7851 by ellagodd123
hi!
thank you for replying back, I just want to know what is the training like?
is it a very stressful job?
I know every job is stressful but I'm very interested in training to become a dental nurse I just want to know the pros and cons really.
xx

7 years 8 months ago #7850 by sophomoreslump8
What would you like to know? xx

7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #7849 by ellagodd123
Hi there,
I have recently been thinking of starting a course about dental nursing. Never thought I would be interested but after researching I seem to be very interested.
I'm just looking for somebody to help me understand more about it before I join a course :)
I'm not looking for some body to tell me everything I just want to learn a little bit from somebody who is currently training or is a dental nurse.
Thank-you

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New