Hello i'm a trainee dental nurse.

10 years 5 months ago #5868 by Ditzy_DentalNurse
Thankyou
I stumbled upon dental nursing but im so excited for the experiences and opportunities

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 5 months ago #5852 by Ekw
Hi there

Glad your enjoying dents nursing! There's constant development so many different areas. I started at 17 in a small practice only 6 of us also! Loved the constant new experiences, I then qualified and went to work in community which was totally different going to primary schools and nursing homes. Then I moved to another city into my first flat. A new job and flat! Felt very grown up! I went to hospital in a children's dept and within the year I was senior in the unit at the local children's hospital working in theatre.I've got my radiography certificate although don't use it as much as I would've liked to. I'm 30 next month and I'm still learning! Its ever evolving in dentistry you'll always have options. Enjoy your course! As said in another post any questions or advice I'm happy to help also.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlylucia, FionaG

10 years 5 months ago #5850 by c8Ch
Hi Ditzy
Welcome to the world of the dental nurse!! I hope things are going well for you and you are still enjoying it. I started at a surgery on work experience (against my will) over 20 years ago! I had great week there and they offered me a job. That's me in a nutshell. I've worked mostly in practices but also in hospital. I enjoy doing CPD especially going to courses and shows etc and meeting other nurses is good. working in a good environment with nice colleagues is really satisfying and I hope you have that. Good luck with all the training etc and get in touch if I can help with anything.

10 years 5 months ago #5842 by Ditzy_DentalNurse
Hi
I never really wanted to become a dental nurse i actually wanted to become an IT technician or Network security. But I am in an extremely small practice we have lots of "surgery rooms" but we only use 2 of them as we only have 2 dentists - my surgery has a total of 6 staff including me.
This is really funny as I became trainee dental nurse through a random job application - I actually trained to be an IT technician but then was struggling to find a job and i saw a advert for a receptionist with prefered dental nurse qualification but i went for the interview anyway and for some reason they really liked me and gave me the job with an apprenticeship included so i can be trained as a dental nurse. It was sort of a whirlwind couple of weeks and i didnt realise what i had signed up to until i got the job and read the paperwork. so i have only been working just over a month now i think.
I left school at 16 and bounced from course to course based mainly around IT and thought that was where my life was going but it missed the spark that i was looking for.

I would love to be trained in as many different areas as i possibly can once i have my qualification - this is the main thing i love about this job it has such continual development and exciting prospects around the corner im so excited. I never thought that university is for me so i dont know what i am going to do but i just like to think about now

Congratulations i hope the baby is bouncing and healthy - my dentist who i work with is due in january.

10 years 5 months ago #5840 by whitelock
Hi Ditzy,

What made you become a dental nurse?
How many surgeries are there in the practice you work at?
Are you looking into further courses after you've become qualified, or are you aware that other courses are available to you?

I'm 25, 26 next month and live in Cambridgeshire. I've been married a year on 17th November and am expecting my first baby any day now! (Due date was yesterday - 3rd!)
I became a dental nurse by chance. I left school at 16 and needed a job and found an advert in the paper! I've been a nurse for 9 years now and most the time I do like my job, just not necessarily the way the practice is run or the people I work with ;)
I've worked in 2 practices in those 9 years. The first practice had 11 surgeries, my current practice has 9.
I have done two further courses since becoming qualified, which are Oral Health Education and Radiography as I wanted to go to university to become a hygienist but since apply a couple of years ago my situation changed and I decided not to go.

:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ditzy_DentalNurse

10 years 5 months ago #5822 by Ditzy_DentalNurse
Hey

So i have just started training as a dental nurse and would love to talk to other dental nurses and see what we have in common and share funny stories or information about the job

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New