Locum nurse rates of pay

9 years 10 months ago #6242 by Isma
Hi Julia Plummer

Would it be possible to have details of your agency, I have recently moved to Sheffield, it doesn't seem like there are that many agencies.

Thanks
Isma

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 8 months ago #1722 by jp
hi, i run an agency in sheffield, we too pay £10.50
julia plummer

12 years 8 months ago #1691 by Vms118
Good for you ! :woohoo:

Victorus Aut Mortis.

12 years 8 months ago #1682 by Walshy25
I politely told them that if that was the type of nurse they wanted, then that wasn't me and I left it at that.
I was not surprised to be honest. I have worked for them in the past and it was clear to me that they want excellent nursing standards and yet they will pay peanuts.
The problem is, they will now go and pinch a nurse from a practice where I know the nurses are earning barely minimum wage, so naturally they are going to jump to earn £10 an hour.
Until there is some form of standardising dental nurse's salaries, there will always be employers who will exploit the fact they can pay so poorly.
I had to quit dental nursing as my main occupation and become as assessor to see how professionals should be treated. I think that's a huge shame. Dental nurses deserve far, far better.

12 years 8 months ago #1674 by Vms118
£10.00 p/h for locum nursing? they're having a laugh. So what did you do? did you agree to do it?

Victorus Aut Mortis.

12 years 8 months ago #1652 by Walshy25
Thanks for all your advice everyone.
I did approach the practice and they came back and told me they were only prepared to pay £10 an hour or less!!!!
I didn't want to sound pushy, but I wasn't prepared to negotiate. We are supposed to be professionals, so I don't see the problem with demanding a fair wage for my professional services.

12 years 8 months ago #1651 by Toots
It depends, will you be self employed or will the practice still deduct tax and insurance?

I would ask for £20 per hour as a negotiation starting point but not drop down below £15 if the later and slightly more if self employed

12 years 8 months ago #1638 by Nerd
I have being offered this week £10.50 at Tempdent.... well to be honest I have not had any experience in temping so I will go for this money and if I think I'm good them maybe I can re- negotiate me thinks, I'm feeling quite anxious.
I know people that earn good money on it.
x

12 years 8 months ago #1626 by Vms118
I think Assessor has the right of it here. Ask for £15.00 and then let them barter you down a little if they try, sounds reasonable to me and that way they'll feel like the beat you down and got money off ;)

Victorus Aut Mortis.

12 years 8 months ago #1621 by Walshy25
Thanks for your advice ladies, I really appreciate it :)

12 years 8 months ago #1620 by Bex123
I have recieved between £10.50 and £12ph for agency locum work but apparently this is low-ish.

Consider that to pay an agency for a nurse, a practice is looking at around £20ph, which obviously the nurse only gets a part of.

I would ask for about £13-£15 personally, depending on what they paid you before obviously! If it was nearly this rate anyway then increase it.

12 years 8 months ago #1603 by Assessor
Well usually the agencies pay up to £15 per hour. Ask for that see what they say. if not then come down to about £13.00 or they find someone else
if they want good nurses then theyll pay you.

12 years 8 months ago #1601 by Walshy25
I've just left dental nursing to become a dental nurse assessor. My old practice want me to do some locum work in September and have asked me to tell them how much I would like to paid an hour!!!!!
Now, I could be really cheeky- the sky's the limit, but I think I had better find out what the going rate is.
Does anyone have any idea what I should be asking for an hour?
I don't want to be greedy, but then again I don't want to sell myself short either!!

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New