Hourly Rate for RDN

5 years 8 months ago #8764 by unflappable
The army looks like an interesting option

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #8182 by Ideanumber25
This is why after a lot of thought I walked away from Dental nursing. I was also only on £8 an hour after I took on futher duties. The practice was a small practice and I was the only qualified nurse he had, so I was training up every person that came to us new, and the only qualified nurse he'd had stay for a long period of time. I set up a meeting with him and asked for a pay rise but in return I would take on extra duties and be his designated Infection control personnel. He declined and told me " I can't give you anymore money but if you want todo those things anyway that would be good and I don't need a designated person"
When we had a Infection control course at the practice the speaker asked who the designated person was and he pointed at me?!
I then said to her "no I'm not but I have many times in past offered"
She then said "well if you aren't maybe try again....but that would mean you get a nice pay rise so that's that's good incentive"
His face was a picture.
But again no pay rise after this event.
I just felt like I was being taken the mick out of royally.
After I gave my notice my colleague did as well so he was going to be left with no one at this point. Myself and my colleague saw that he was advertising for our replacements at £9 an hour! And this would have been for trainees. I made him aware that we had seen this.
His reply was "well I need to get workers in somehow"
I just told him maybe you should value the workers you do have in future.
There were many other things wrong with the practice and I've learnt since I've left that he's been reported to the CQC and been suspended. Whilst I was there I carried out my duties to this highest level and dedicated myself absolutely to it.
When the patients learnt I was going they more or less said "ok that's me looking for another practice"
But absolutely look for either another practice ( like my collegue) or another job entirely like myself.
Good luck :)
As dental nurses we need to stop being taken advantage of.
The following user(s) said Thank You: walice004

7 years 1 month ago #8181 by walice004
look for new job and move on... 8£/hour is ridiculous.
Look for a job and give the notice ... and tell the true on them face them.
Nurses a dental chair/year should do a profit of 200.000£
And ortho 300.000£.
why they don]t have money for the nurses? greedy owners....

7 years 1 month ago #8179 by JJ1985
I would like some advice regarding asking for a pay rise.

I have been working at the same practice for 5 years and last year I requested a pay rise bringing my hourly rate to just £8.00. The company re-evaluated everyone's wages so everyone had a rise. However, I feel as though I have extra duties and therefore was expecting more than what a newly qualified nurse would receive (I have implant nurse training/orthodontics/Invisalign training, etc).

I have worked as the orthodontic nurse since joining the practice as a trainee and do not feel as though I am being paid accordingly. Also, I have asked on numerous occasions to be put on the orthodontic nurse course but they insist on saying that they cannot fund it at present (in other words, do not wish for me to complete the course and subsequently have to pay me the deserved rate).

Any advice would be appreciated :-)

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New