Asking for a raise ???

13 years 9 months ago #611 by lavalette
I think I have said before that my boss is NHS and I work for him. I do reception and chairside. I did not train as a dental nurse so came in on the grandmother clause. I have worked there for 25 years as of next week. So really I am doing two jobs and getting paid for one. My boss does all the in between patient cleaning and instruments though. Its just the way it is. Small rural practice in the middle of nowhere.

When I first started the yearly increase was laid down by the BDA and every five years you got a bonus. When I go to 15 years the BDA left it to dentists to sort out the wage increase so now my increase is in line with the fee scale increase which is what the BDA advised. Ha thats a laugh. Its been less than my council tax increase every year so far. But my boss stopped the five yearly bonus thing though.Bet hes laughing all the way to the bank. I did ask for a better raise but it just never happens but it is better paid than other jobs here so I am in a way stuck.
I have gone down the being nice route and getting annoyed route. But he is not going to budge. However nice your boss is they are not going to give in. But if anyone does get a decent raise tell me how you did it. In fact publish it. I would buy it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 10 months ago #492 by sofiameds08
Thank you , I know attitude is very important and I ve been working on it, I m little melancholy at times...... :)

13 years 10 months ago #488 by shazza
Before I last asked for a raise I made a note of the extra jobs I had taken on in the last 12 months. Attitude to your job I think is something you can play on. If you're last nurse out every night without complaining point that out. Think about what your strengths are and use them well for a couple of months before you ask for more money. Never be afraid to compare yourself to other members of staff but do take care not to sound bitchy in any way. After all if the other nurses worked as hard or are as good as you they surely will be asking for a rise too. In short make sure you are extra fantastic for a month or two before you ask as hopefully your dentist will notice the extra effort and give you your raise.

13 years 10 months ago #487 by angel
Well if you don`t ask you don`t get.... that is how it goes if you work for a dentist.

13 years 10 months ago #485 by sofiameds08
well.. I am assuming no one EVER has asked for a raise in here and I've never heard of getting a raise without asking.....

IT DOESN'T HAPPEN, NOT IN THE DENTAL FIELD

13 years 10 months ago #431 by sofiameds08
Hello

I was wondering what is your approach in asking for a raise from the dentist ?
any techniques or suggestions you have used that have been successful or not?
What do you say ?

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New