Being happy at your place of work

11 years 5 months ago #2862 by Ekw
Hi dumpling81

I work in Edinburgh in hospital quite a mixed bag.
I have heard kings is really good I've never been but work with clinicians that had done work there.
I think I'd miss hospital too much to leave and I'd be far too slow now for practice!! I'd drive staff potty! Not sterilised my own instruments in years!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 6 months ago #2851 by dumpling81
Hi Ekw thank you for replying! Just wondering where in the country you're based? I did a few rotations on theatre at Kings in London which was my fave department . Hospital work deffo has its advantages in terms of career progression, support of staff,variety of patients etc which I miss. Glad your experiences have been positive! :)

11 years 6 months ago #2850 by Ekw
Hi there,

I have been dental nursing since 2001 but qualified since 2004, i triained in dental practice which was NHS them moved to community i am now in hospital and work in theatre and the OP clinic there with children, mostly medically compromised or with physicial imparements, i've been quite lucky i found all my locations i've enjoyed, practice i found i did an awful lot of extra work such as cleaning and collecting mail that i didn't get paid for or ind was relelvent to dental nursing but could've been due to being a trainee at the time..getting all the exciting jobs!!
i love being in hospital there is politics but i think there is always some form of politics especially when theres over 50 dental nurses all female! but we are all very much singing from the same sheet we help each other out and will make sure everyone is alright especially when clinics are running late. i'm sorry you've taken a while to settle in to a position that can be quite frustrating i suppose it could depend on what your interested in really if your practice was mainly surgical based and elective procedures the patients and clinicians might not be your cup of tea, im very much pro nhs so a purely private practice would probabnly not suit me.i wouldn't change my job for the world i love working with special needs children it is good fun, also theatre gives me all the surgical sessions i like as i mainly have an interest in surgery and max fax. it doesn't happen to everyone i suppose but i actually enjoy being at work and working where i am, i think it would have to be a pretty terrific offer to pull me away!
interesting to hear your journey so glad you've found a practice your happy in now though makes it all worth while.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dumpling81

11 years 6 months ago #2847 by dumpling81
Hi there, this topic has probably been covered before but I am interested to know how many of you are happy where you are or feel you have finally found a position you are happy with.

I've been qualified since 2009 and have had several positions.
I started out training in hospital (in London) which I loved at first but over time politics between departments etc changed my mind,
I've worked in small practices with ferw staff which I found didn't suit me as I like the hustle and bustle plus problems would arise when cover was needed.
I've worked in mixed nhs/private which was good but due to commuting times/costs i've moved on. I've also worked as a temp which didn't suit me as I like stability (especially since having kids)
I've also worked for private practices but have seen how some employers don't take care/value their staff well i.e
.are mean with pay and pay rises, helping to fund courses, just disrespectful in general!
I've also worked in a place where they were so tight with cash that basic equipment like the amalgamator and light cure would have to be ferried from one practice to another depending on who needed it that day.
I've worked at a practice where the OPG room was not lead lined and the door couldn't even close because it obstructed the machine!

I've since started a new position and feel I finally belong and am happy. The staff have a great relationship and work ethic, they all look out for each other, The practice is modern and well equipped,GDC reg,courses,CPD and bonuses are all paid! I've never experienced this before. Patients are lovely and the commute is perfect for me (walking distance from home)

What are your experiences and are you happy where you are now?

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New