Going back to Dental Nursing after 11yrs

8 years 6 months ago #6907 by Robocop
Did you have to catch up on cpd courses? I have just been asked, as I have been out of nursing for 10 years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lou1314

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 1 month ago #6070 by roja
Hi everyone, i am Qualified dental nurse with 5 years cgairside experience. i left nursing to have a family and now after 7 years i would like to return to dental nursing. I know alot has changed in the past 7 years and am a bit reluctant. Can someone advise me one the best way to to come back to the industry. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lorraine59

11 years 3 months ago #3421 by shiralee
I to want to return to dental nursing, I qualified in 1996, not worked in practice for 8 yrs, what would I have to do??
any help please
Shiralee

12 years 10 months ago #1425 by HRussell
Wonderful news. Hope it goes well x

12 years 10 months ago #1424 by ~Cat~
Thank you for all your help guys. A position for a qualified dental nurse in a surgery close to me came up just a couple of days ago. I shot them email yesterday, told them of my circumstances, but feel that even though I am not qualified I do have a lot of years experience and am confident I will get my qualification if they (the surgeon) give me a chance.

The surgeon has been emailing me most of today and wants to meet me on Monday morning, so fingers crossed :)

Thank you for you help, advice and suggestions.

12 years 10 months ago #1423 by Assessor
If you had decided to work before 2009 then u could still been an unqulaified dental nurse as u would have been reg with the GDC on the Grandparenting Clause. You would have to prove your competence though. Now post 2009 All dental nurses have to work towards a qualification or already be qualified, So i suggest you find a dental nurse course you can join .

12 years 10 months ago #1422 by HRussell
To find employment you can either find the job yourself or whoever you go to (college or private training company) can help find you employment. This then allows you to start your training towards your qualification. You will be assigned an assessor then off you go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: corrine90

12 years 10 months ago #1416 by Toots
To return to dental nursing you will need to find employment as a trainee and work towards the qualification.

12 years 10 months ago #1415 by HRussell
Hi,
I am an NVQ assessor and i had a few nurses who had either left and come back or had worked for years without taking their qualification.
Of course you will find it a bit strange getting back into the swing of things but i bet once you're working again things will start to flood back and even though things have changed the basic principles have stayed the same.
You will need to become qualified so see into where you can go to get onto a training course(try local colleges)
You will be assigned an assessor who will guide and support you throughout the course, they will set out what needs to be done and help you to achieve it alongside working in a practice.
If you are really keen to get back into dental nursing you must get qualified and become registered.

Hope this is of some help to you x :)

12 years 11 months ago #1414 by ~Cat~
Hello everyone,

Just a brief question. I started work more or less straight out of school in 1991 as a trainee dental assistant. In 1992 I worked in 2 more dental surgeries after my training (Which was YTS ~ Youth Training Scheme) My last surgery I worked in from 1992-2000 at which point I was 25yrs old. I left for a career change in IT management, which I left in 2003 after my marriage and the birth of my first child.

I have been incredibly lucky to be allowed to be in the position that I could stay at home and be a mum. But now I really want to go back to work, and I really want to go back to Dental Nursing, I have the bug again.

However, on researching there are so many changes. I, of course, expected changes in various procedures and materials, but, now to work you need to be registered and qualified. I never did get my qualification, I was quite happy plodding along with my surgeon, and then it was not compulsory.

Where do I stand, I off course have the experience, nearly 10 years chair-side, just not the qualification. Am I going to find it difficult to get back to working in the surgery?

Thanks in advance.

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New