AGP and speed increasing handpieces

3 years 1 month ago #9295 by JosephPolizzi
Hi my practice have been using speed increasing hand pieces, the dentist runs it at 40,000rpm and it is not classed as an AGP. There’s a fallow time calculator which explains all of this on FlyNotes which would be beneficial for your dentist to add onto his notes. You complete treatment, put in all the mitigating factors such as high volume suction, rubber dam etc and then it tells you your fallow time for that particular procedure and gives you a unique treatment code which you can copy and paste onto your notes so you could show this to CQC if they asked during an inspection. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 2 months ago #9282 by Tooth23
Hi All

I just wanted to find out if anyone is using speed increasing slow hand Pieces to stop fallow time time. Is anyone doing this and can you explain the process

This is some advice I received from an engineer .

The maximum 'motor' speed for this handpiece is 40,000 rpm. But this is a 1:5 speed increasing motor so the bur (with the motor spinning at 40,000 rpm) will be spinning at 200,000 rpm.

This means they are running at similar speeds to turbines but with much more torque and much less aerosol being generated. This is one of the reasons they have become so popular since Covid.

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New