Im not sure what my senior nurse want from me HELP!!!

4 years 6 months ago #9024 by h.t3112
Hi
When I have a trainee, I also expect them to be using initiative by/before 6 months but don't worry it is something you can do quite easily. I know it can feel a bit daunting to just make decisions without guidance but equally we don't have time to keep asking you to do things.
I have made a handbook which stays in the surgery cupboard and one of the pages contains a list of tasks to do when you are free. Things like: stocking up the drawers, checking stock (making sure we are not about to run out of something), some cleaning tasks, bagging and dating things etc. Maybe make your own list of tasks you have been asked to do before and do them when you are free without being asked again.
You do also need to stay on the ball too, and speeding up will help the team if they feel you are taking longer to do a task than is necessary. This does of course come with time though, but sometimes you need to give yourself a push.
If you are still unsure or worried, I would ask for 10 minutes with your senior nurse and let her know you are keen to improve. Tell her about your list and ask her to add to it if she wants. then you can refer to it rather than keep asking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 8 months ago #8989 by Little1ne1988
Hello! I am also a trainee dental nurse, i found you tube an amazing thing theres links on there about how to be the best dental nurse. Look on pinterest too. :). I must have improved as the dentist that wasnt keen on me absolutely loves me now. I hope this helps you. Xx

4 years 8 months ago #8971 by Ekw
Hi there
I'm surprised your senior hasn't had this conversation with you herself. As a senior myself I want my trainee to once 6 months in act without me giving instructions, to have an idea of daily tasks and what to do if there is a gap, like stocking your surgery, looking out your labwork, Ldu logbooks. I'm not expecting a trainee to be like a qualified DN but to make progress.
I do like to meet with nurses twice a month to check in though.
Speed comes with time and experience it'll come but you need to be aware of what you need to work on in order to progress.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaffacakes1123

4 years 8 months ago #8970 by Jaffacakes1123
Hi, I'm I a trainee dental nurse been training for six months now and I feel like everything is going well, however, I feel like I am not doing what I am supposed to be doing. My boss and I had a chat and they explained to me that the senior nurse doesn't feel like I am taking enough initiative. She feels as though I doing everything slowly and that I am not pulling my weight in the team. I really want to improve and be the best nurse and co-worker I can be. So the question is what do you guys like in a good trainee nurse and (as stupid as this sounds) what can I do to take more initiative?

Thank for reading

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New