Stuck in a rut

5 years 7 months ago #8810 by NewStart
I did the Oral Health Course off my own back hoping to be able to help more in Health Promotion, sadly where I live and work nothing came of it but I did enjoy the course.
It may have changed since I completed it as it was back in 2005 but I enjoyed it. I had no problems with the portfolio as a very helpful hygienist directed a lot of her patients on to me after seeing her for the oral health advice. The course I did was a correspondence one but for my exam I went to Bristol and everything I needed to know I had covered so it wasn't too bad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 7 months ago #8808 by roxanna
Sorry but I have just realized by reading your message above that you have completed the oral Health Course. How difficult is getting the portfolio together and what is the exam like?

5 years 7 months ago #8807 by roxanna
I completed the course over 12 years ago and then decided to take a long career break so have not actually worked in the field. After gaining the qualification you would be qualified as a Dental Nurse Assessor' so you could contact up Dental nurse trainee centers and ask around. To be honest I don't think there will be a lack of jobs as dental nurse Assesors but do try and do your own research for reassurance.

If you need any further advise/ help please feel free to ask. It's very important that we all help each other out as we work in this field and a little bit of advice can go a long way ! Good luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: NewStart

5 years 7 months ago #8806 by NewStart
Thank you, I will look into this. Do you know how easy it is to get into this work once you have the qualification? Is there anywhere I could contact?

5 years 7 months ago #8804 by roxanna
Hi

Have you looked into the 'Dental Nurse assessors Award' qualification? this will qualify you to become a dental nurse tutor and assess trainee dental nurses in their workplace- basically, you will be helping dental nurses to pass the course to become a qualified dental nurse. I did this course many years ago so it may be under a different name. A1 Assessors award- I think
The following user(s) said Thank You: NewStart

5 years 7 months ago #8802 by NewStart
I was wondering if anyone has any advice they can offer me?
I have been a dental nurse now for 19 years but lately have become very unhappy and disillusioned with my work. This is for a variety of reasons but the main one being that I am very much stuck in a rut.
Where I work there is no room for promotion and even though I have several extra qualifications such as Oral Health and Radiography under my belt they are hardly used and there is no incentive to have them or to go for any more.
Therefore I have been looking for a new job and challenge. At first I was looking at Oral Health and working with children but as I live in a very rural area there is no call for it. I then decided to get out of dentistry all together but have no other experience to do anything else and also I thought it would be such a shame to lose my knowledge I have gained over the years. This has bought me on to my new idea of perhaps teaching and assessing dental nurses and in the future to go on to teaching other things in the health profession, so I have applied to do a short course in Education and Training. My main concern is where do I go from there? - now most things are online, how would I get a job in this area? Is there any call for it? I so want to be happy and enjoy my job again and most importantly feel I am making more of a difference. Thank you for any help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: roxanna

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New