changing jobs

6 years 8 months ago #8380 by SmilingDCP
If you are interested in orthodontics then go for it. I quite enjoyed it working as a temp ortho nurse. I don't know your interests within dentistry so its difficult to comment on whether you'll be bored or not. Its a very straightforward role, but can become a little monotonous if you prefer assisting a wider variety of treatment. Mostly NHS and children so can get quite busy. You will learn on the job quite quickly all the instruments and materials that are used.
I had completed the OHE course so was able to give tailored OH advice to patients. See how you feel, there are courses in orthodontic nursing which would open up further opportunities such as orthodontic therapy. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 8 months ago #8371 by h.t3112
If you are thinking of changing your job there will be a reason for this, maybe you have just been there a long time, maybe you are unhappy there due to boredom, or not happy with pay. In my experience, If you are thinking about changing, i believe the first step is to talk to your manager/employer in the form of an appraisal and just make sure theres no room for changes before you leave as in my experience things are often made better after a conversation. If you still feel unhappy then it is best to take the risk and leave, you may not find it boring at all and you will likely find it a nice change, at least you will never look back and wish you had spoken up before leaving!

6 years 8 months ago #8368 by chapstick
thank you for your advice, still don't know what to do, had my interview for the new job, which went ok, just have to decide now if they offer me the job to take it or not, weigh up th pros and cons of a new job.
thanks again

6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #8367 by Ledentalnurse
Hi,
switching from a general practice to an orthodontic practice provides you with far more interesting aspects to dentistry and if anything will keep you more interested and less bored in your profession too. The patients recieving ortho treatment always want to be there and so are generally at ease throughout the treatment which is a plus. Its amazing to see the progress of patients in orthodontic cases and placing cement on the brackets etc so overall its a great change to the general dental practice scene- not that theres anything wrong with this; but in your case no you will not get bored just have fun and go with the flow as I did.
hope that helps :)

6 years 9 months ago #8353 by chapstick
I am currently thinking of changing my job, staying in dentistry but switching from being a nurse in a general dental practice, to an orthodontic practice.
Just wondered what anyone thinks of this, will I be bored? Don't really know much about orthodontics apart from what I learnt on my dental nurse course, and that was 10 years ago?
any advice greatly received.

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New