Hourly Pay

6 years 8 months ago #8396 by sconnie1974
Just realised how lucky I and my fellow nurses are at our practice. We are all very experienced and now work in ortho. We have a flat rate of £11.02 p/h, with an increase of 75p p/h for radiography qualification and 50p p/h for ortho nursing qualification, so in effect I get £12.27 p/h. We also get a share of our private income bonus which varies but can be as much as an extra £90-£100 on a good month.
Pay peanuts - expect monkeys- or at least nurses with low morale, no enthusiasm and importantly - no loyalty!
The following user(s) said Thank You: walice004

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 8 months ago #8384 by SarahB75
The BADN have just produced a recommended salary guide, I think we should be banded as they are in the hospital with incremental rises between band's also, when you consider our professional status, we should be £'s in advance of a Lidle shop assistant who earns £10.15, with much less responsiblity and no need to register or pay indemnity fees and study for CPD!!When we have all left because of the pay the GDPs will be forced to pay £ 15_17.00p/h , those who say its unfeasible to pay this amount are those that only see through business profit eyes and not that of a highly experienced nurse...rant over!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SmilingDCP

6 years 8 months ago #8373 by tyra123
You are very lucky to be on the hourly wage you are on. I am a lead nurse for a Corporate dental practice and I only get £8.10ph. I have been a qualified dental nurse aswel as a implant nurse for over 14yrs. I work full time in surgery and I am expected to do my lead nurse jobs in between seeing patients etc

6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #8361 by h.t3112
I don't mind being a head nurse, I only work in a small private practice so I imagine its much harder in a larger busier practice or a corporate. But there are still responsibilities such as overseeing the sterilisation procedures, updating the policies, daily form filling and signing, training new staff (when applicable, luckily this isn't too often for me), delegating jobs etc. I also do reception one day and am an OHE another day. I'm happy with my wage, but maybe next year i'll ask for a slight rise, maybe £13 or £13.50. there aren't any perks or benefits where I work other than free treatment which is good I guess.

6 years 9 months ago #8348 by walice004
being a Head nurse is a pain ... get sure you get 15£/hour if not just say to other person do the job ... not worth it for less than that.

6 years 9 months ago #8345 by Kelly_Wcampbell
Thanks for sharing this details here. So being a head nurse are you satisfied the perks and benefits given by your organization?

6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #8315 by Kelly_Wcampbell
  • It always feels good to get hourly pay.

6 years 11 months ago #8269 by pDN
    Push for 9ph tell them to review in 3 months.
    If not look else where, I personally think 8ph is taking the p.S£.
    Tell them what you can offer.
    E.g ask them is there a role that needs for filling.
    Suggest a role you could do like implant coordinator.
    Stand your ground and get fair pay, if they won't pay am sure another practise will.

7 years 1 month ago #8208 by Eian01
    I suggest you start making points so when the review happens or when you get the chance you can present your case appropriately.....

7 years 1 month ago #8167 by h.t3112
    I work in a private practice and earn around £12.50 per hour.
    I started as a trainee on £6 per hour. This went up to £7.50 once qualified.
    After a year I said I wanted more and was happy to take on more responsibilities if necessary and we agreed on £9 per hour.
    I'm now head nurse and £12.50 is what we agreed on, I've been here for 7 years. I feel that if you don't ask, you won't get and as awkward as it is, you need to have that meeting. I now wouldn't accept anything less than this for all the work we have to do.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: TheGrimmer, Kelly_Wcampbell

7 years 2 months ago #8161 by walice004
    private dental practice - 13£/hour minimum
    Nhs/mix - 10£/hour minimum
    that what a normal nurse should be on
    The following user(s) said Thank You: TheGrimmer

7 years 2 months ago #8156 by ngriffin
    The average wage for a normal registered qualified dental nurse is about £8.50 an hour, increasing with other qualifications, such as radiography, OHE, impression taking, fluoride application ect. this also depends on your location.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: TheGrimmer

7 years 2 months ago #8147 by TheGrimmer
    Hi everyone.

Just looking for some advice.

I have been out of dental nursing for 5 years and have recently re-registered with the GDC. I have found a job at a private dental practice where they wish to pay me £8.00 ph and I have requested £9.00 ph. They have said £8.00 is a realistic hourly rate for someone in my position with the stipulation from the GDC that I am required to be competent and confident. I have in total 6 years experience and qualified in 2003 with a National Certificate.

There has been a change of ownership of the practice where both dental nurses have left for one reason or another. They have recruited a 25 year old trainee, which will result in this particular dental nurse being on £7.50 ph due to the National Living Wage changing in April 2017. This is a 50p difference from my starting hourly rate and I am qualified.

Should I push more for £9.00 ph or is the practice in the right with saying £8.00 ph is justifiable?

They have said this will be reviewed in 3 months with an increase to £8.50 ph

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New