Dental nurse on call??

6 years 6 months ago #8463 by LNurse96
I personally think it’s absolutely essential for a dentist to have a nurse with them whilst being on call...how can you not?! What if something happened between the dentist and the patient, if the patient accused the dentist of something or complained about them, the dentist wouldn’t have a leg to stand on.
At the practice I work for the system is the nurses can opt-out of being on call, but for those who want to participate get paid time and a half for Saturday and double time on a Sunday. It’s rota’d and shared out between all of the nurses, I normally get 2 on call weekends every 2-3 months.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 10 months ago #8316 by Kelly_Wcampbell
If they make any app where all the news and call system is included in according to the geographic location, then it will be useful.

7 years 1 month ago #8207 by Eian01
They can develop a centralized system/app where the enrolled nurses share there location and the closest get to the patient........

7 years 2 months ago #8162 by walice004
I would not work weekends just like that... read your contract first of all.
Second you should have the option to choose yes or no go work make it clear with your practice manager.
Third if you need to work on weekend double pay at least and mileage paid.
If they force you in to it, just dont show up they learn fast.

7 years 2 months ago #8150 by klocker86
we have a on call rota in place at my practice, we are paid a set fee for the on call regardless of if we get called in or not.

7 years 2 months ago #8149 by MarcoAlessandro
Its good news to all nurse on a call .

7 years 2 months ago #8143 by nancysoto
Could you not agree with the dentist who will be on call with you, to pick you/drop you home up on route?? Save your taxi fare??

7 years 4 months ago #8025 by Hayles_7
Hi. I have been a dental nurse for 6 years now working in the same private practice all this time.
At our practice we have a dentist on call for emergencys every weekend.
One of the dentists (who has worked at the practice 20+ years) has now suddenly decided she wants a nurse to be on call with her. Our practice director has said we will look into putting a rota together for each nurse to take it in turns being on call on the weekend and we will get paid time and half if we do get called out.
I was just wondering if it is normal in other practices for the nurse to be on call with the dentist?
My problem is I live a 20 minute drive away from my practice and do not drive so if I was to get called out it would mean getting a taxi there and back and even with getting paid time and half, if I was only there for an hour this would not cover the cost of my taxi fare.

Just interested to know what happens with on call systems in other practices?

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New