Would you recommend becoming an agency nurse?

7 years 8 months ago #7799 by ckcritchley90
Hey Smile4u2

I work for an agency and I love it! i started doig it in Surrey and have recently moved to Birmingham, still doing locuming for the same agency.

i have work Moday to Friday and i am offered Saturdays... you don't HAVE to do them, but its available. I am always busy, sometimes on my rota it will say i am on standby but i often get booked through the week for those days anyway.

I get much better pay than I've even had working permenantly, they cover indemnity insurance but i do have to pay for my own GDC registration.. but come on that's only once a month!

i get petrol money after the first 20 miles (round trip) and any parking is paid for if i have to use a pay and display.

Personally i feel it builds your confidence and skills and you get to learn so much as every dental professional works so differently you're always learning. plus you may get to be part of things you never thought you would have before. for example i had never really done any ortho or implant nursning but i have done both now! also you may get the opportunity to dental nurse for MoD centres or prisons!

i love it! i'd encourage anyone to do it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Figueiredo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 8 months ago #7762 by hjones
I worked for an Agency for about 6 months.
Great money but not sufficient enough for how I wanted to work.
You may get 2/3 days a week, have to be on emergency cover, and to be honest, they do treat you well...But it's not a great way of nursing.

I prefer to work in a practice rather than locuming. For me petrol money, parking, indemnity, GDC, plus travel expenses if the work was over 1 hrs drive, didn't appeal to me after about 12 weeks of locuming.

Give it a go if you fancy, but it's not great.

You'll be disappointed when everyone jumps on the bandwagon and you can't get any shifts, or take short notice so you cancel your own plans.

Good luck xx

7 years 8 months ago #7737 by smile4u2
Hi is anyone on here an agency nurse?
it's something ive been thinking about and just wondered if you would recommend it?

i've currently been working in a practice since 2012 (when i started my training) and have now been sort of pushed towards doing less nursing and staying on top of paperwork and cqc issues instead. I have been feeling like i miss nursing but we arent a particularly busy practice and i'm not needed as a nurse really.

I think i'd enjoy working in different places and seeing different procedures etc?

so just wanted to know if becoming an agency nurse is as enjoyable as it sounds?

Thankss

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New