Indemnity Inusrance

8 years 1 month ago #7192 by kittykat
You haven't necessarily have to have your own cover, you can still be covered under a practice policy for example. You do however have you declare you have cover when you pay your ARF in July.

I am covered by my principals Dental Protection policy at the moment BUT it only covers me against negligence claims and not for other issues such as a GDC hearing. I have decided that, although I do the have the necessary cover as required by the GDC, I would be better off with my own individual cover. I also don't like having to rely on another person to provide me with cover, what if he didn't pay, I would no longer be covered and I have no way of checking that - it makes me feel a little uneasy.

I have just applied for cover with Dental Protection which is £135 for full time dental nurse with extended duties.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teesey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 1 month ago #7188 by Teesey
Hi there BevG71

I have just checked the GDC website re this indemnity change. apparently you can still be covered under the GDP indemnity
if they still want to cover yo, it is just that they have to make the policy available to you as a copy so that this can be presented at time of renewal.
If your GDP has advised that you need to get your own then I am presuming that they don't want to cover you anymore.
you can check the GDC website for more details

Thanks

8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #7186 by Teesey
wow I didn't know anything abt this, where is this information available to us nurses. I get the dental nursing journal and the BADN journal and nothing been said in these????? ie can we not be umbrella covered anymore
could someone advise me please.

8 years 1 month ago #7169 by BevG71
We have just been told by our employer that as of August 2016 nurses must have their own indemnity insurance, as legislation is changing.

I have had a quote today from Towergate Insurance - they gave a ballpark figure of £68.50 for indemnity insurance.

BADN were £89.84. DDU £140 - 50% discount if te dentist belongs to their Dental Advantage Scheme.

Dental Protection £135 (if you are in your first year of qualification it is £15 for first year)

Hope this is helpful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SmilingDCP

8 years 3 months ago #7049 by paige0402
Hi SmilingDCP!

Yeah i only qualified 7 months ago myself so all is a bit confusing haha! I am covered under my employer but know it is best to have your own. I just thought that i heard somewhere that it was going to be compulsory that you have your own indemnity.

I think that i am also going to go for the BADN as seems very good!

Thanks for you help!! :D

8 years 3 months ago #7047 by SmilingDCP
Hi paige0402

Its an interesting question and a topic I was a little concerned about myself as I qualified 6months ago. I think I received an email from the GDC which had something about it.

I'm covered by my employers insurance, however, some good points are made regarding arranging your own indemnity on www.theddu.com/guidance-and-advice/lates...nurses-and-indemnity

I think it is definitely worth considering getting your own, but shop around. The BADN offer membership and insurance cover. badn.org.uk/sign-up/ I'm going to go for the BADN membership with cover at the end of the month as I've not been able to budget for it until now. You can also get tax relief for this (as well as your GDC membership). Also, being part of an association which is specifically there to help us as dental nurses is important to me.

My reasoning is that my GDC Regisration is my responsibility, therefore, I would prefer to make my own arrangements even though I'm covered by my practice.

It would be interesting to see what others on the forum think as well.

:)

8 years 3 months ago #7046 by paige0402
Hello, i'm just wondering if it is now compulsory that Dental Nurses have indemnity insurance as i heard that it was coming into force that it will become compulsory but can't find anything on it?

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New