Advice really

10 years 6 months ago #5785 by Flora
£6.50 is not enough!! Especially as you have taken on extra responsibilities. And with regards to getting less holiday, that's rubbish! I know some companies offer you a day or so more holiday after being there so long but you are still entitled to a certain amount of holiday when you first start. I started on £7.50 in a practice when I first qualified, with the promise that it would be reviewed after a 3-6 month period. I was there 3 years and never got a pay rise!! Believe me I asked for one! I had enough of false promises so looked else where and have gradually worked my way up the pay scale to a wage I am pretty happy with now! I also really like where I work. So don't stand for false promises, if you ask for a pay rise and you don't get one look for another job!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 6 months ago #5778 by whitelock
£6.50 is awful!! You should definitely bring it up at your next appraisal!!
I'm very lucky and get a good wage, not that I feel anymore appreciated in my job but hey! It makes me mad when I read so many posts about how little other nurses get paid.....Dentists don't realise they couldn't do their jobs without us!!!

10 years 6 months ago #5775 by Louise
How much holiday do you get legally you should get 5.6 days holiday a year(inc bank holidays) this is the legal minimum!
and £6.50 is a disgrace!

10 years 7 months ago #5742 by Teesey
Hi there Molly

OMG £6.50 an hr thats an absolute disgrace and he should be ashamed of himself for paying a qualified nurse that. I certainly would bring this up hun and soon. If he doesnt budge on this fee especially with all the other activities that you do for the practice, hen maybe its time to look for a new position!! noone even dental nurses should be exploited. We have to stand for what is right

10 years 7 months ago #5738 by c8Ch
Hi
£6.50 an hour is a disgrace! Its an insult to you and what you do and to all dental nurses. These dentist do it because they are not challenged properly about nurses wages. I've been job hunting recently and have been shocked by some of the hourly rates. They couldnt do their dentistry statisfactorily without us, so maybe you should tell him that. In your appraisal, state all the things you do and dont back down. You may even have to move on from where you are to get what you deserve. It would serve him right if he lost you. Also, look around at some jobs first to compare hourly rates. Good luck, its about time someone stood up for what is right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ania

10 years 7 months ago #5733 by jo-anne
I agree your pay should be more. we have this problem at my work the pay is very unfair ! as is the loyalty holidays. you should bring it up with your employer after all you only get in life what you have the courage to ask for !

10 years 7 months ago #5724 by janet123
I don't think any registered professional should be paid £6.50 an hour. I'm not registered and I earn £7.50 an hour. I would bring this up with your dentist or practice manager, if they come back with any excuses I would just say I'll find somewhere else to work because I'm registered now. Someone shouldn't be able to properly live off that wage, especially not a young professional. Ask for a competitive wage at your next appraisal, you deserve it.

10 years 8 months ago #5720 by Molliejolee
Hi all!

Well Im a qualified, GDC registered Dental Nurse feeling a bit down at the moment!! I qualified last year, but have been working for my practice for 3 years now. I am currently on 6.50 an hour which is getting me quite down! When I qualified, my boss told me that because I was less experienced, and I am younger then our other two qualified nurses I would get paid less, and also have less holidays. Now this wouldnt bother me, but one of the nurses only has 1 year experience more then me and gets paid the same as the nurse who has 7 years experience. Does anyone think this is really fair? I have also taken on arranging staff rotas and holidays since our practice manager left. I also arrange meetings, appraisals, lunch and learns, courses, my bosses flights, car parking and holidays! I am due for an appraisal soon and really think I should ask for more money!

Has anyone else ever come across this problem and how did you address it without offending your boss?

I am only 20 but I think regardless of your age, if you are qualified and working to a high standard your wages should reflect this.

Any advice would be great!

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New