Speedier set up/clean down

11 years 2 months ago #4299 by Jellybean
Something I find helpful is to have to surgery organised in the best way for you.
For example, have all your composite filling materials in one drawer and all your crown prep stuff in a totally separate cupboard/drawer. This may sound obvious I find it also depends on the dentist. Does he/she use a lining regularly? Maybe have those things in the composite drawer too if so along with mixing pad and spatula.

And always make sure you’re stocked up! Nothing more annoying than have to dash to get something mid treatment! If you get time at the start of the day to open up – use that time to check stock levels as well as set up.
xx
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dentalnurse5

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 2 months ago #4288 by molargirl678
I agree with the others above.

It is all about planning and being as efficient as possible. It certainly keeps you on your toes.

Watching, listening, picking up certain cues (most dentists have these when finishing up).

As someone said before - check your lists, always be one step ahead.

For instance, as my Dentist is finishing up - I am discreetly clearing away any items that aren't going to be used any longer (eg disposing of sharps) as he/she is polishing a composite without the need for suction, making sure any forms are completed ready, cleaning around the patients (very discreetly - you dont want them to feel like you are hurrying them or chucking them out the room!), Preparation of the next session as the last one is at an end, check you have everything you need. It just takes practice and once you have your own routine, this will help alot. I always clean from the chair light downwards (as aerosols rise up) and them move onto everything else - makes sure you use correct 'zoning' this should allow you to create small areas that are for clinical use which helps when clearing up and disinfecting ready for the next patient.

Hope this helps

:)

11 years 2 months ago #4275 by Dentalnurse5
Thank you. I do all of what you have said. Everyone picks things up at there own pace & with practice my timings will improve, I will keep at it!

Thanks

11 years 2 months ago #4254 by Ekw
Hi there

I agree with HRussell, it does take a bit of practice but once you get your routine then you will feel alot better about keeping up. I always go through my notes in the morning and write down what is going to be done so I plan my session. I work in hospital so I don't have the worry of doing my instruments and cleaning them but apart from that I just make sure I keep an eye on the clinician and once they're talking and treatments done I get the tray away and start tidying up,wiping down and getting things ready for the next patient. Usually once the patient leaves all I should need to do is wipe the chair and surrounding area and put new tray out. If I'm doing sedation or using the microscope I'll wheel it over ready to use. It's just keeping yourself organised and knowing your day. Also making sure your room or unit has everything you need for your morning so you don't have to go looking for anything.

Good luck!

11 years 2 months ago #4252 by HRussell
Try to plan ahead, look at the clinic list to see what the next couple of patients are for.

If the dentist is just talking to the patient at the end of treatment start to tidy up and get anything out that you can ready for the next patient.
The same goes for when they are updating the patients records get things out ready so you can just reach for them when needed.
This is all very well as long as you have an area so you can do it and don't mix up clean and dirty things/areas.

It does take practice but you need to learn to think ahead. You always have to be one step ahead of them.
Hope this helps :)

11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 1 month ago #4234 by Dentalnurse5
Could nurses provide advice on getting speedier during/after treatments?

I put out the correct instruments.

Thank you.

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New