Problem with nurse mentor

11 years 3 months ago #3847 by Ekw
Hi there

I'm sorry your having a hard time settling in to your new post.
Your mentor should've been on a mentoring course to be able to mentor new nurses to her best ability, our 4 mentors all did the training so they would be able to mentor properly. Her 40 yes experience could invaluable but maybe without the training she's a little over whelmed.
I don't agree with her comment to you stating she wasn't there to help you her job is the exact opposite she should be accessible to you and even though she can't be with you all the time usually a mentor would have an arranged time to meet the new or trainee staff member and go over any problems and help with anything they are struggling with. I think if you take notes of things she's telling you such as instructions for use of equipment or materials and date them it may help if there's an issue down the line at least I'll have the notes to prove it was due to being told rather than making a mistake yourself. Don't shy away from everyone though it's hard in a new job but you need to get in there and become the DN you know you are and after 7 years experience I'm sure you've enough experience to hold your own in that way, 2 months in a new job isn't long so give it some time you may find they had been mucked about by passed DNs that's what happened to me when I started training.
I hope things get better

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 3 months ago #3372 by MLA
Hello,
I am sorry you feel this way. :(
You say you are qualified and have good experience. So does the Mentor Nurse. Just because she qualified 400 years ago, doesn't mean she is a fossil. If she has kept up with all CPDs etc I am sure she is very capable of doing her job.
Yes, a Mentor Nurse should have trained for being just that. I say should as I don't know about your Mentor there.

Now, why don't you write down the instructions you are given. If you are given other instructions about the same matter, just read out what you have written down and ask if that is wrong or have been changed. (write down who told you as well...)
It is difficult sometimes and if you feel you don't get any help it is even worse. But, don't forget that you can ask about things as well.
It will show that you are interested and want to do things right.
A two way communication is the best, and if you are doing your best, they will notice and you will soon find that all is much better.
Good Luck! :)

11 years 3 months ago #3268 by MummyDentalNurse
in case you havnt read my other posts i have just started a new job been there for 2 months, i have over 7 yrs experience in dental nursing and im qualified

i am not getting on with my nurse mentor at my new practice and i feel im a hinderance to her and shes not there to help me and that she can not be bothered to train me and im putting her out by being there. my induction i was not shown anything just pointed things out and said that needs filling out everyday and that folder needs filling out on a regular basis, this is your clean side and thats your dirty side you clean instruments starting here and end here - that was it!

should my nurse mentor have any extra training or qualifications? she holds the same qualification as me but she gained hers over 24 years ago! i gained mine in 2008 which surely would make me more up to date? shes giving me conflicting information . i.e telling me to do things differently to how the manufactors instructions say i should do them. when i noticed and told her she said " just follow what ive told you" - i cant help think and worry shes trying to get me into trouble as she doesnt want me there. im really worried and panicking im going to loose my job all because i didnt have the inicitive to speak up and ask her to show me it all rather than just tell me what to do.
to be honest im quote intimidated by her and i dont feel comfortable around or or that i can go to her for help as of the way she speaks to me and she has said to me before "i am not here to help you i have my other work to be getting on with" on this occasion i didnt even ask her for help she just interupted and thought i needed a hand, had she asked me politely what i was doing and why i was doing it i would have explained it to her.

i was upset at the end of the day and close to breaking down in tears as my nurse mentor and the lady in charge of cross infection had been really horrible to me ALL day! i put myself in the back office to try and regain my composur before going home and i heard them laughing saying where is she? the other one said she is probably going to hang herself.

has anyone else been in this situation and can anyone give me advice on how to deal with this from previous experience?
i need to do something but unsure of what to do.

thanks and sorry for the long post - i hope people take time to read this x

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New