Taking / writing notes

11 years 1 month ago #4628 by kittykat
I've worked with dentists who prefer to type all their own notes and other dentists who have been quite happy for me to make the notes and later check them and sign them off. Ultimately it's the dentists responsibility to ensure full and accurate records have been made.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 1 month ago #4586 by Twiki
in my previous practice during new patient consultations we were dictated to the notes we had to type up. we had a basic outline of the information the dentists required in order to make up treatment plans etc so all notes were the same. The dentist would then check the notes through while we cleaned up the surgery and sign off with both of our initials so we could trace the nurse that worked with the dentist that day.
I find it very hard in the nhs that the computer system doesnt allow for the nurse to be able to write up basic information for the dentist so they can later return to it and not having to remember all information about that patient as the patient groups we see are very difficult and we are liasing with other departments so they require letters in addition to the dentists carrying on writing up the patients notes.

I think as long as the dentist dictates to you exactly what they want written down and they sign it off once checking it this is acceptable.

11 years 3 months ago #3843 by Ekw
Hi there

Where I work I will write the charting and all the checks as the clinician is examining the mouth, I would never write up any notes if asked I'd say no.its up to the clinician in our department to do their own notes, I'd only write in notes if I'd spoken to a parent/guardian and needed to keep a record of our conversation. I certainly wouldn't expect that to be brought up in my appraisal.

11 years 3 months ago #3369 by MLA
Hello,
I think a bit of common sense is to be used here. If the dentist or hygienist, is examining a patient, having gloves and instruments in their hands, it is very much easier to just dictate to a nurse and when the patient has gone, the dentist-hygienist should check the notes and sign them (maybe add a few things as well).
It would be too much of a struggle and take too much time, for the dentist-hygienist to take of gloves, wash their hands etc. every time something needed to be noted down.
The CQC checked that all record cards was signed after every visit.
:)

11 years 3 months ago #3357 by MrsW
As far as I'm aware we shouldn't be writing the notes on behalf of the dentist. We can type them up and have the dentist check on what we've written but I find its best to let the dentist write for themselves to save them having to read and having to re-type. I've never been expected to type notes, all dentists I've worked with have done their own. At my old practice we were specifically told we were not allowed to type up notes, that's not part of our job. I don't know 100% the regualtions on this but I wouldn't feel comfortable typing up notes. If you don't fel comfortable about doing ti peak to the dentist you work with or the practice manager and let them know you don't think it's something you should be doing.
For one thing, you have so much else to be doing! If the dentist doesn't type their notes, what do they do exactly?! I clean down my surgery while my dentist types his notes, this way the surgery and the dentist are both ready for the next patient at the same time.....

11 years 3 months ago #3289 by Hay
Generally nurses do write pt records and notes, but you are right about dictating and the dentist checking the notes after.
If your dentist has not looked over your notes or signed the card you will be held accountable for any miskates, this is a reason you need indemnity insurance.
It is not required for you to do clinical notes and you should not be peanalised for not doing so, the dentist I work with reguarly preferes to do his own notes, to save time on re-reading what I have written.

Iv had a look and I cant find any offical NEBDN statement to say it is mandatory, it simply says the nurse usally will.
Although charting, of course, is mandatory and you have to be able to carry out a full chart as a qualified DCP

11 years 3 months ago #3264 by MummyDentalNurse
i have recently started a new job, had an apprasal and have got into trouble for leaving it up to the dentists to type their own notes. i personally thought as nurses we were not allowed to write patients notes / records? only under dictation but then surely the dentist has to check it before it is finalised? does anyone else know of this? and is it in writing somewhere so i can quote it at my meeting? i am really unimpressed with being picked up on this! are any other nurses expected to take notes within their dental practice?
Thanks x
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hay

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New