What shall I do ....my dentist is a bully ....

11 years 10 months ago #2272 by Jellybean
This happened to me also. I would say the two and only dentists that owned the practice bullied everyone but particularly me for some reason? I was a slow learner and they bullied so much I couldn't concentrate and was advised to have counselling! Luckily I was only on a maternity cover contract and although the girl had said she wouldn't be returning I explained to the practice manager that I would not be staying after my contract ran out (this would mean staying for 2 years whilst studying and then another 2 years or paying them back for the course!)
I had about a month to find another job and luckily I was offered one at one of the most prestigious practices in my city (I am still so proud of myself!!)
All the staff are lovely, us girls go out together often.
and the dentists don't treat us as if we're lower class! Two of them I could easily spend time out of work with and would consider them friends. I am a very lucky nurse!
I have just taken my written paper and was worried i hadn't passed, it was very hard! My colleagues all had faith in my and all congratulated me when I found out i had passed. I know that this would NOT have been the case at my previous practice!!

I's recommend looking a a job else where before going on the course. Especially if you work full time. We all need to work but there is no need to spend 35+ hours a week with someone who talks and treats you like a piece of poop!

Hope this helps <3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 10 months ago #2222 by MLA
Hello,
It is so sad to read these stories about people being treated badly.
It might be understandable that, when you have problems in your private life, you aren't able to be positive and friendly as much as before, but somehow there is a limit to that as well.

It is also sad to see that people, that have been working at one place, had a good employment etcetera, must leave and go to work somewhere else because of that behaviour.
That is not right. (and, speaking for myself, I wouldn't leave, at least not until the other part had realised and understood what pain he/she had caused).
The reason I would try to solve the problem, at the workplace, is that if one person is allowed to behave how they want to, without any major opposition,he/she will continue and make life miserable for someone else.
Besides, dental nurses needs to be seen as good and valuable co-workers, not something one can shout at and hector.
It is not very pleasant to stay and work in an "infected" environment but there must be some help to get. I am not a lawyer or so but I do know that some behaviour is not acceptable, in fact unlawful.

I really hope you can sort things out somehow. That would be best for all involved.

Please, let us know how you are getting on.

MLA :-)

11 years 10 months ago #2221 by dawn2410
I am in a similar situation. I have been at my practice for 11 years but recently one partner has subjected not only myself, but other members of staff to bullying. We have been threatened with misconduct, and dismissal, all because he is having difficulties in his personal life, and is therefore lashing out to us at work. My other boss has been great and has had numerous discussions with the other dentist, we have also written a letter of complaint. I have discussed the matter with Dental Defence Union and GDC, neither could help, so we're on our own. My attitude is we don't need this. All we want to do is go to work, do our job and go home. My advice - Leave. Why should you have to put up with that behaviour? It may be hard, but for your own sanity, find somewhere that will treat you properly. As for me, looks like he might be leaving soon, but have been looking for another job. Good Luck xx

11 years 10 months ago #2209 by Nikki07
Hiya so sorry to hear your unhappy,
I agree that you should keep a log of what is going on and when, go and speak to your practice manager again with the information. If you still have no joy you can contact the CAB they have free advise and can guide you in the right direction if you wish to take action, again there is the Job centre who can also help. explain all this to oyur manager and tell them you will be happy to take this further if it carries on.
Ask others to help with your training as we all help the trainee nurse's who come to work for us, ask the senior nurse as this is part of her role to help and take trainee nurse's under her wing.
I know looking for another job may be hard but think hard on what is happening now, there are jobs out there but i would have to stand my ground, start the course and make show the dentist i am good at what i do and he will not upset me.
Please let us know how you get on and keep your chin up. x

Reg/Qualified Dental Nurse

11 years 10 months ago #2208 by Assessor
You will have a assessor who comes in to assess you whilst your going through your training. I had a number of Dental nurses just like yourself. I found some new places of work. Others preferfered to stay where they were until they qualified then left to. Is there another dental nurse in the practice who can help with your training instead.

11 years 10 months ago #2205 by MLA
Hello,
I am sorry you are bullied.That is out of order.
Now, if you want to continue in the dentistry sector, try to find another practice, where they will treat you well.
Enrol on the course. That is what you want to do, so do it!
If you can't find another workplace, talk to the manager again, a.s.a.p.
There are laws and regulations for these kind of things so, the manager MUST act.
It isn't nice for you if you have to still stay and work there.Just make sure that you write down, as honest as you can be,what is said and done.Also, how it made you feel at the time.
But make sure you are honest, don't add anything to make it sound better (or worse).

You can still be looking for another workplace, it might not happen right now but you never know when the opportunity appears.

Please, let us know how you are getting on, and good luck!
:)
MLA
The following user(s) said Thank You: laramiju

11 years 10 months ago #2201 by laramiju
I am a foreigner and I am working as a trainee dental nurse in a private practise. I am going to the college in July to do my Dental nurse course but I am not sure whether to start the course.... The dentist I work with is a big bully and he really does not care about my opinion and does not talk to me whole day (only if it relates to the treatment or if he needs something). He sometimes undermines me in front of the patient and does not want to train me. I talked to the practise manager about this and he talked to the dentist but nothing has changed...From what I have heard previous nurse left because of the dentis's behaviour. Everyday I feel so unhappy and loose my confidence because the dentist treats me like I was nobody from nowhere. I really love the dentistry and it interests me a lot and I love talking to patiens but his bullying puts me down and it impacts my performace and patients can feel the tense between me and the dentist...
Can anybody give me a piece of advice....shall I stay or quit the job ?

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New