Under Pressure

12 years 5 days ago #2123 by Max
It is indeed classed as harssment and same applies if you are on sick leave and get Texted /Called
Best of luck with your futre
The following user(s) said Thank You: KLKennedy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 1 week ago #2117 by Nikki07
Hiya

I'm so glad you have spoken to someone regarding this matter, i am sorry to hear that you might be leaving denatl nursing it's sad that they have been allowed to get away with this and you have now got to move on, i hope you find something that better suits you and your family needs
N ;)

Reg/Qualified Dental Nurse

12 years 1 week ago #2112 by KLKennedy
Nikki, I have since spoken to a BADN legal advisor. She told me that it is classed as harassment, even though there's keeping in touch days, but they're not compulsory nor are they to be an excuse for asking me to work. It's the same rules if someone's signed off sick, the company shouldn't be contacting them to discuss or ask when they will return to work.
I wouldn't have a leg to stand on if someone put in a complaint or made a claim against me, so to definitely stick to my guns. She advised me if it happens again, I've to give them a call & they will take action (prob a letter advising them of legal situation). I've decided to look for another job regardless, probably outwith dental nursing.
All of this because the pm's signed off with stress! Little wonder really. :dry:

Kirsty

12 years 1 week ago #2093 by Nikki07
Hiya
Have you thought of going to see someone at CAB it is free advise and they have lawyers if further advised is required,??
There is also the GDC where you can ring and seek advised and they would be able to point you in the right area??
If you are a member of BDNA they have a union group that might be able to advise???
We all have rights and matter what the busineesman thinks or says there are people who can help?? :)

Reg/Qualified Dental Nurse

12 years 1 week ago #2092 by KLKennedy
I'm used to doing lesson plans for OHE & Childsmile sessions, so that's not really a problem, & I'd probably be able to have more time to do that rather than the rushed time I get in practice. Evenings don't bother me, it'd just mean my other half would have look after the wee man at that time. Hmm, think I'll do more research. Thanks all the same though :)

Kirsty

12 years 1 week ago #2090 by MLA
Hi,

as an assessor you have to have quite a lot of time to prepare the lessons. Time to maybe copy things, find sources, make phone calls etcetera. It is not just to turn up. Well, I guess some do but the result is ...thereafter.
Also, evening hours...
It also might be a bit unsecured job as if no one wanted to study to become a DN, no course and no job!
But, check it out. At least then you know! :)

12 years 1 week ago #2089 by KLKennedy
Just out of interest, does anyone know how you go about becoming a dental nurse tutor, or something similar? I do enjoy my career but feeling staying in my place of employment is becoming less likely

Kirsty

12 years 1 week ago #2088 by MLA
Hi,
I bet it is hard for you. Pressurised etcetera.

The businessman...might be able to buy an answer phone that can answer whilst he is on lunch?

Well, if I was you, I would look around for other practices. Maybe not find something today but 'tomorrow'. As you mentioned , all these years for nothing.....if you go in to another profession. BUT if you really want to change, go for it! There are other good jobs in the world and Good Luck which ever way! :)

12 years 1 week ago #2087 by KLKennedy
Thanks for your replies. I'm not covered under a dentist's indemnity cover because I'm not employed by a dentist, I'm employed by a businessman. I've had yet another text this morning asking me to go in & cover the receptionist's lunch, from him. I've said no, no childcare & again reiterated no indemnity ins, & if i work whilst not insured, I could get struck off register. The reply I got back from that was "It's only reception :)"! I've made it quite clear whether or not it's only reception, I am a REGISTERED dental nurse, if I get struck off, the last 15yrs go down the pan, & what should I do for a job then?!
I've actually just text my brother in law to ask if there's any jobs in the supermarket where he's one of the departmental managers. I've reached breaking point. I should be able to relax & enjoy being a mum but I'm so wound up now. What does he expect me to do with my son over that time, shove him under a desk, just to make his life easier?!! Aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh. Definitely time for change!

Kirsty

12 years 2 weeks ago #2075 by Maisyandmoo
Hi,

Congratulations on your son!

Like HRussel said they can offer keep in touch days or which you are allowed 10... They HAVE to pay you (at your salary rate) though and they cannot force you to do it... (If this has changed since my maternity leave then please correct me)

Xx

12 years 2 weeks ago #2070 by HRussell
Your employer can not make you to do anything whilst you're on maternity leave (I was on maternity recently).
They can suggest it but it's up to you at the end of the day.
I never did any "keep in touch days" as they call it as I wanted to spend all my time (stress free) with my husband and new baby.
You have to think of you and your little boy because time with them is so precious and you can't get it back.
Look at it this way, the majority of employers only see you as a number they don't care about your family and how you feel.
Have you thought about doing a none clinical role instead? :)

12 years 2 weeks ago #2068 by MLA
Hello,
congratulations to your little son!

Just wonder, do you not have insurance (indemnity) via your dentist's insurance?

Check that!

:)
MLA

12 years 2 weeks ago #2064 by KLKennedy
I'm currently on maternity leave, trying to enjoy the first few months of my son's life, before going back to work part-time (if I can afford to, ha!). However, my employers are constantly at me to "go in & work for a few hours every now & then". Nothing like pressure! I keep trying to tell them, my indemnity insurance won't cover me, not only that but childcare is an issue at the moment. When I do return to work (August), I'm having to rely on my mum cutting her hours down at her work so I can work 2 days, because I can't afford to pay out more than half my wages in childcare. Hell, I'm even thinking it's going to take 3 working days to pay for my retention fee & the cheapest indemnity insurance I can get (£60, Dental Protection). Needless to say, this pressure just makes me feel that giving up dental nursing (extended duties - OHE, fluoride app) & going to work in a supermarket is more & more appealing, even though it'd be a complete waste of the last 15yrs.

Kirsty

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New