CPD, GDC registration, Indemnity insurance

12 years 8 months ago #1654 by Assessor
The GDC have had a Hygenist on the panel for some time and in her infinete wisdom told the GDC that all dental nurses were on the same pay scale as hygenists. That is Why we pay the same fees as hygenists/therapists etc. She is no longer on the panel but the GDC have said nurses are paid to dentist discretion. So come on GDC pay us what we are worth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 8 months ago #1653 by KLKennedy
There's a link on the eGDC page to complain about the retention fee, so I have. Be interesting to see if i get any reply. I suggested that the GDC should have consulted dental nurses on what they could afford to pay, not take the word of a delusioned hygienist (no offence to those hygienists who can't see the justification in nurses paying the same amount). I also made the point I earn a third of what hygienists do, but yet I have to pay the same, especially as only working for 3 months of this year.
I'll not hold my breath for a reply ;)

Kirsty

12 years 9 months ago #1590 by Assessor
Ive now joined the dental protection for my indemnity its only £35. Ive been in dental nursing for 26 yr. Ive also trained and taught dental nurses as an NVQ assessor. Some have now left the profession once qualifying due to money issues. Seem slike the more qualifications we get the more we`re penalised. NHS hospital nurses get there fees subsidised. I started off on "25 per week on the old YTS. Now on £just short of 10ph so in 26 yrs not really much change there. One practice i worked in was there for 7 yrs we had pay rises but wen we worked them ou how much over the 7 yrs it came to 20 pence. Yet her daughter was working with us just doing odd jobs about the place no dental nursing and she was on ablout £15 ph.

12 years 9 months ago #1581 by KLKennedy
I totally agree about banding. Louise, you are very lucky. I'm an extended duties dental nurse (OHE, Fluoride varnish app) with 14 yrs experience, I don't even make what the trainee dental nurses in NHS do. I'm going to have to pay the best part of £250 to work for 3 months before I go on maternity leave. Even then my boss isn't happy because I only get 10 keeping in touch days, which he wants me to work, even though I don't have childcare (all family members work). I won't get paid any extra for it, as I'll only get stat maternity pay, I can't even get the time back which I'm owed for overtime because there isn't enough staff. I grudge paying out that money right now, especially when I'm having serious doubts about returning to the profession for what basically amounts to pennies. I don't feel either the GDC nor the BADN care, so long as they're getting the money in. :angry:

Kirsty

12 years 9 months ago #1576 by Vms118
Didn't the BADN release a pay scale/guide line some time ago? and does anyone know when the new one they've just done will be released?

Victorus Aut Mortis.

12 years 9 months ago #1575 by Louise
I totally agree with you,

It does seem a little odd that some Nurses have everything paid for a d some don`t. I have to pay for all my C.P.D & registration, and if I wanted to take a post graduate course I would also have to pay for that and probably have to take time off from my holiday entitlement.
I feel their should be some kind of guideline to protect us all.
I am a Practice Manager and Nurse in a one man practice and I am paid a good wage (I have been doing this for a loooong time though) Wages have to be increased for ALL dental nurses to come inline with the added workload and responsibilities.

12 years 9 months ago #1573 by Syll
Just having a moan again about our hard work, ever changing cross infection procedures..then having to pay GDC registration and indemnity insurance and as if thats not enough keep up with our CPD!!!! I know some nurses have these covered by their practice...but others have to do all this themselves like me and I think its so unfair!! I've been on maternity and only work one day a week yet I still have to pay the same as those working full time.Not only that..Hygienists/ Therapists pay the same GDC amount as us, what on earth is going on???

I have worked for a practice where I have had all this covered by my employers as well, so I have experienced both sides. This GDc registration thing has nothing to do with benefiting us at all!! Practices and dental hospitals can not function without us and I think its time we make a stand.

*There are nurses who work part time, some full time
*Some have their Indemnity insurance and Registration and CPD covered by their practices, others have to do it themselves
*Nurses, hygienists and technicians have different pay scales
*When on maternity GDC registration still needs to be paid in full
*Some have to pay for further courses themselves e.g implant, sedation...and for others their employers do that for them

The GDC needs to 'band' how the registration is done . I have written a letter of complaint to the GDC, I'm sure others have done too. Please lets all come together and make a STAND!! The more complaints we make, maybe the more they will take notice. Other professions go on strike, why should we not fight for what we know we are worth!

Glad I got that off my chest. PHEW!!

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New