Is Dental Nursing "a female job"?!!

12 years 9 months ago #1586 by Nerd
I had 2 boys doing the course with me at Guys hospital, and there are lots actually working in the hospitals as well, I had male nurse colleague working with me once.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 9 months ago #1583 by HRussell
When I was training as a dental nurse there was a boy in my class. Then when I went on to become an assessor I had about 3 boys under my supervision.

Boys do go into dental nursing, it's just that more girls seem to do it

12 years 9 months ago #1554 by Vms118
I personally feel sometimes that our team could do with some males to balance things out a little. We all know it can get a little stressful in teams at times.

I would suggest that -

1) Practices want long term members of staff, not someone who is around just for their own convenience and to zip off to be a GDP ASAP. What is the point in training someone to your practice processes, supporting them through the qualification (observations etc) and dealing with the pain of NVQ or National assessors, if you are not going to be a long term member of the team?

2) Does a UK GDC registered GDP really want to help you "learn wt I might didn't learn as a dentist in Egypt"? I'm going to sound a bit harsh now, but as far as I can tell if they know your intention of learning, then I'd view you as asking me (if I were the GDP) to teach you for free and therefore help create competition in the job market (by increasing the number of GDP's in the UK) Especially if the dentist who needs a new nurse is an associate, what would they gain from having you as an assistant.

Finally, our practice is very big on all staff having good written and verbal english skills (not that you'd think it sometimes with my posts :P ) for good record keeping. As should all practices I guess. From some of your posts it seems you could get a better grasp of grammar and spelling etc.

Would you possibly be better off, working in Egypt where you are qualified as a dentist, whilst studying for the conversion exams you need to pass to register with the UK GDC, and then just fly over to take the exams? The wage of an Egyptian dentist after currency conversion cannot possibly be anywhere near that of a UK DN... Also maybe ask yourself, if you're receiving all of these walls and obstacles to you're entry onto the register, does the UK really need more dentists? I'd think if they were needed, your transfer would be accommodated/assisted by the GDC more.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

12 years 9 months ago #1548 by Toots
I understand that your qualification as a dentist as not been accepted as good enough to practice as a dentist in the UK without some kind of additional training however I do not understand why you are training as a dental nurse.

A dentist is the top of the heap and the dental nurse is at the bottom.  In-between we have dental therapists/hygienist.  As a dental therapist you would be able to do simple fillings, scale and polishes, impressions, etc... And as such incorporate some of the training you have already received.  

I would talk to the GDC to see whether or not your current qualification would exempt you from having to training as a dental nurse before being accepted on a dental therapist course.  You are definitely over qualified as a dental nurse.

There are a few male dental nurses however male dentist are more likely to hire a female dental nurse because of a belief that female patients would feel uncomfortable receiving treatment from two males. 

12 years 9 months ago #1543 by Assessor
I cant understand why you have to qualify as a dental nurse to work here if you are already a dentist. Speak to the GDC ( General Dental Council) Im sure they will put you on the right track. Dental nursing is a bit of a come down from being a dentist. Also the pay is very poor being a dental nurse.

12 years 9 months ago #1542 by lavalette
Have not discussed this one with my boss. But i am well aware that he is very conscious about having a chaperone so it would have to be female.

We have local kids coming in after classes and even I cringe sometimes about what some of the 15 16 year olds wear. Does any one else have this problem.

I am 49 and admit that when going out I might dress a bit more dareingly than normal. But I have to say some of these young girls when they come in leave nothing to the imagination.

What do you do. Do you quitely metion to the girls or to the parents when they are in. But will that make the situation worse. I remember when I was told things like that I would take it further than normal.

And dont get me started on those horrible hippy jeans that the guys wear. How do you say if you are going to wear these and least have clean underwear. Ugh!!!!

Rant over.

12 years 9 months ago #1538 by Bex123
I think that primarily, yes, dental nursing is a job that seems to attract more females than males to it.

I have only worked with two male nurses so far but having said that both were brilliant and I think we could do with some more to balance it out a bit!

I am surprised you are finding it difficult to find work, at least in my area there are a fair few jobs about and I would imagine that as a qualified dentist, even though it's in a different country, you would be very experienced for the role? Maybe it is because you're male as I know from speaking to our male nurse at work he says some dentists prefer having a female with them as a chaperone however I think this is unfortunate if many dentists feel this way because as I have said, the male nurses I have come across have both been great at their jobs.

Hope you find something soon! Although isn't it frustrating having to work as a nurse as you are a qualified dentist?! I imagine I would find it a bit of a drag..?

12 years 9 months ago #1536 by Assessor
We do have male dental nurses but there are not so many of them about. There are quite a few in the liverpool area.

12 years 9 months ago #1534 by Ahmed99
I have been wondering about that actually, if dental nursing "a female job"...as i am a qualified dentist in Egypt, and i am here in london registered on the National Certificate for Dental Nursing Course at South London College on a 2 year programme, and I accept to get 5.5 pounds per hour for a part time job just to be in a clinic in London and learn wt I might didn't learn as a dentist in Egypt...and still that seems to be so hard to find...does anyone has any ideas if it is a male/female issue or it is just me searching the wrong way?

will be so gratefull for sharing any thoughts about this issuse : )

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New