Trainee Dental Nurses and Hep B vaccination

12 years 10 months ago #1513 by Bexchod
Considering the full course of vaccinations takes up the best part of a year, no one would want to train for a start, as who would want to "observe" for that long before they can do any chairside work?!?! Completely agree with Vms118, who wants to pay someone to just sit and watch?!?!?!

I wonder how the Dental Schools go about it with the Full Time Dental Nurse courses that they run?!?!?

x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 10 months ago #1507 by Vms118
That's all well and good, and completely logical but how many DN's do you actually think were had immunity before they started working? It's not practical on a financial basis, times are hard for every business in the UK, who wants to fork out for a temp when you're paying someones wage to sit there and watch :unsure:

Victorus Aut Mortis.

12 years 10 months ago #1502 by oscar
Hi guys. I found this on the Dental Protection Website.

Quote:

A dental nurse, whether qualified and registered or a trainee, working in a clinical setting should not only be Hepatitis B vaccinated but must have clear proof of antibody titre to confirm that s/he is appropriately protected from the virus.

The reasons for this are;
■The individual must be protected themselves (to protect themselves and their partner/family).
■Without vaccination the dental nurse runs the risk of becoming infected with hepatitis which could then put patients at risk which would be entirely contrary to GDC ethical guidance.

Anybody working with you at the chair side must therefore be able to demonstrate that their Hepatitis B immunisation has been completed and that they have the required antibody titre. If this is not the case they should not be assisting you in the dental surgery. You should discuss an alternative solution (perhaps agency staff) with the practice manager. :dry:

12 years 10 months ago #1499 by Bexchod
Thanks guys, decided to persuade work to let her start assissting this week, the whole Hep B course is too long so if that was a rule she'd be stuck "observing" for a very long time! haha.

xx

12 years 10 months ago #1489 by Vms118
I could be wrong but was under the impression that as long as the course of immunity was undergoing then it is fine to carry on work as normal. Besides, these things are never spotted anyway even if it was against some rule/regulation...just a thought.

Victorus Aut Mortis.

12 years 10 months ago #1469 by BADMUS
HI,you just have to wait for the second dose or the third cuz in my own case the dentists said they cannot take me on training until I completed my dose of hep b.just finish my dose last month,hopefully a dentist can employ me now.

12 years 10 months ago #1467 by Bexchod
We have recently taken on a Trainee Dental Nurse at our practice. Now, I know we all have to be vaccinated against Hep B, including the Trainee's, my query is, done anyone know if a Trainee has to have the full course of vaccinations before assissting chairside and cleaning instrument etc??????
There is a bit of confusiion at work as to whether she can or not. She has already had her 1st injection and now has to wait 4 weeks for the 2nd, surely she can't be expected to just "observe" for that long???
I've tried looking online for info, including occupational health and I can't seem to find any info regarding this matter.

Anyone have any ideas??? What do you guys do with Trainee's who have only had the 1st injection????? :S

Any info any of can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. x

Moderators: DNN

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New