nurse become a hygienist

13 years 15 hours ago #1395 by SmileNurse
Hi,

The best thing is to call the dental hospitals and ask for a prospetus. They definately send u one or log onto their websites and read thru wat the requirements are. I know for sure that Birmingham even those with no dental background and they take about 40 students so does Kings as well as accept mature students.

Whlie u are looking into it, u can do online Radiography with the BDA from home. Its fantastic and easy. You can also do OHE and fluoride application courses. You will have a greater chance as these are covered in the Hygiene course. Very cheap if u do with the London Deanery.

All the best xx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 4 days ago #1387 by Assessor
i I know of a Therapist who qualified Last year. She did actually join a dental nurse course for 6 months whilst he was awaiting for a course in birmingham to come up. She does have her 5 GCSEs that are required. She is not a Qualified dental nurse. She did go straight on to the course.

13 years 4 weeks ago #1363 by seakiki11
ta! :)

13 years 1 month ago #1350 by Bex123
Hey
I have seriously looked into this myself. The best thing to do is get in touch with the admissions officer of the uni you are interested in, they will be able to tell you exactly what their requirements are as sometimes they differ, especially for mature students.

You will almost definately need the 5 GCSEs or equivalent. Some also ask for an AS or A level in Biology or the post qualifications such as radiography as an alternative.

It was explained to me by one uni that although I was welcome to apply with my current (lacking) grades, I would be unlikely to succeed just because of the amount of competition. Portsmouth for example only takes on around 16 students a year through UCAS applications for their hygiene and therapy course and there are a lot of people wanting a place!

Hope this helps.

xx

13 years 1 month ago #1347 by seakiki11
Hi !
can somebody tell me if to apply for dental hygienist I need just a recognise DN certificate or do I need to have the 5 GCSE grades?
And the other thing is ...I need to work 2 years as a nurse before apply for hygienist?
thanks!

Moderators: DNN

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New