Dental Nurse Training

4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #9060 by unflappable
If you are really determined then training in one of the dental hospitals is preferable to online/in practice.
Check out NHS vacancies ... Kings are accepting applications now.

A two year traineeship is basically the same as an apprenticeship.

www.jobs.nhs.uk/xi/vacancy/?vac_ref=915868735

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 4 months ago #9059 by unflappable
Every course requires you to have completed the practical and have your ROE's signed off.

Why do you wish to be a dental nurse?

Seldom mentioned but: dental nursing is a physically demanding job. They expect 100% attendance. They expect 100% speed, stamina and wisdom every single day. As well as the skills of a theatre nurse you need to have good diplomacy and good IT skills. (The patients are expecting you to be a kind + competent nurse taking care of them. The dentist expects you to be a mind-reader and a switched-on PA making everything go right. The GDC/CQC expect you to be a lawyer/policeman knowing + obeying all rules + regulations + and dobbing in any work colleague who does not.)

If your health issues mean you will have low energy levels or need to have ongoing health checks I would think you may be better off developing your IT or admin skills. (Average dental practice manager if a nurse asks for time off for medical appointments: you are in their bad books and they will get rid of you as quickly as possible.)

Hefty workload/low pay mean very few people stay in this job for long. Also a significant number of employers kick their staff around then feel genuinely surprised when they leave!!! Be very wary of joining any place which advertises for dental nurses frequently!!!

4 years 5 months ago #9048 by nrus7834
Hi,

I hope everyone is well and thanks in advance to everyone for taking the time to read and respond to my post.
My name is Natalie and I would like to ask for opp[ions with regards to available online training courses to become a dental nurse please. I am currently at home waiting for an organ transplant and have been out of the professional and social loop for sometime now. I know that once I have my transplant, I will start both personal and professional journeys again and this is both exciting and at the same time extremely scary for me. I know that after 10 years at home, the customer service and administration skills I once had, are both very rusty and also probably no longer relevant. My ambition for a long while has been to become a dental nurse, but obviously with my medical situation and being home bound, I thought it could never happen.. Since being placed on the transplant list I have however began to believe that it may actually be possible. Obviously I am currently unable to venture out to college or find a work placement which will enable me train whilst earning and to be completely honest even more than not becoming well again, I fear receiving my transplant and being thrown back into the professional world with no skills to help me secure a position.
Please can anyone give me advice on the best online courses, where I can achieve recognised qualifications and prepare me for a dental nurse position. I am hoping to find a course where I do not necessarily have to be in a work placement to take my final exams, however if this is all there is then I will begin the course and hope that I have received my transplant and found a workplace within the given time.

Any help and advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks Natalie
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Kind Regards
Natalie

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New