Becoming a dental nurse

7 years 2 months ago #8109 by jmoss
Hi,

1 -You will need either the NEBDN National Diploma in Dental Nursing or and NVQ Level 3 in Dental Nursing. You can find course providers on the NEBDN website for the national diploma. There is a mixture of online and classroom based courses. I think the NVQ is offered by City & Guilds but I don't personally know anyone that has done the NVQ. It normally takes 12-18 months to complete the NEBDN.

2 - Our trainees are on £7.20 (National living wage) but we are paying for their course (£1700 each) and they will get a pay rise once they are qualified.

3 - Worst aspects are you can get low pay. You might be expected to pay your own GDC registration (£116 per year) and your own indemnity (mine was just over £100 this year). I love being a dental nurse though and I work with a good dentist. The most annoying thing I find is friends and family all of a sudden think you are a dentist and ask you about their problems all the time! Well thats what I find anyway.

4 - I don't really switch off when I leave work because I am also practice manager. When I was just nursing I did switch off. I love everything about dental nursing especially the opportunities to complete post qualification courses.

5 - I think only you can answer that question! Dental nursing does seem to be female dominated so it would be nice to have more men join in! When I sat my written exam there were about 300 people and only 2 of them were men.

Good luck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #8096 by gibbsd1
Just signed up to this website and have a few questions about becoming a dental nurse.

1. What's the standard qualification to work in the UK? How long does it take?
2. What's the salary for a newbie?
3. Let's say I'm looking for a career change. What are the worst aspects of the job? Please be honest.
4. What's the best part of the job? Do you switch off when you leave work?
5. I'm a 35 year old man thinking of a career change. Is it for me?

Hope you can help. Thanks.

K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New