Dental instruments

10 years 5 months ago #5874 by kittykat
I have purchased this book for our practice. It's really good, tells you the name of the instrument, what it's used for, gives examples of tray set ups and has really good clear photos too.

ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41shksITd...5,500_SH20_OU02_.jpg

If you can't get hold of the book, ask one of the more experienced nurses to go through the instruments with you .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 5 months ago #5873 by Ekw
Hi there

This kind of thing takes time as you work you will need to take in the clinicians routine
. do you use many different probes? I must admit I've never had a clinician really be fussed what probe they use, but if its helpful at all try lay out you instruments in order of how they'd be used,
For example: cons pack

Tweezers,
Mirror and probe

Large excavator
Small excavator (these both look like double ended spoons)

Packer (the ends look like a meat mallet,if that makes sense!)
Flat plastic
Wards carver (these look very similar but the carver is pointed compared to the flat plastic)
Burnisher ball ended or pear (for smoothing, ball ended is just that a larger ball and a small ball)

They are hard to explain without showing you so sorry for the terrible discriptions. This is an example for how I set mine out so is in no way the only way, once you get used to setting up for your treatments you will have your routine,I work 4 handed and set up my trays in the same way every time even where I place my cotton rolls! But I automatically know what I'm missing because everything has a place. You really should have a nurse mentor or senior have mock setups and let you practice with them,it would help you a lot. Hope my terrible example helps a tiny bit!

10 years 5 months ago #5869 by Ditzy_DentalNurse
Can anyone help me learn the basics of Dental instruments - I was sent home from work with a catalogue so i can get familiar to the different types but i think its the probes that I get confused with.

I just would like to be able to set up the surgery with the correct instruments without the dentist having to come in and sort everything out. But i would also like to know what the instruments are so i can learn why they are used etc.

Thanks

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New