Fair or Unfair

11 years 5 months ago #2974 by emziewoo
thank you for all of your reply's, us nurses at my practice have taken our concerns up with the PM and employers and they have stated that they would send us on the OHI course as it would benefit the practice, however they are doing it in the order of who has been at the practice longest so in my case i would have to wait 2-3yrs :( . i will take ur advice in to account and look in to doing some online in my own time if possible.i want to get post qualifications in sedation OHI or assesing and im not really fussed about having to pay its just being able to attend really :) . xx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 5 months ago #2969 by Nikki07
Hiya,
No i don't think that is fair, i went throught the same thing earlier this year, i found a course for X-Ray, i spoke to HR who said that they would need to look in to the course as it was not one they had heard of before, i would then need my practice manager to state if there was a need in the practice for me to attend this course?? if not then that was where it finished, if she felt there could be a need as it was not a course they had set up then i would have to save all my holidays to attend the classes and sit the exam. thats with having to pay for the course too. i decided to wait awhile and started to look for online course to which i could do @ home in my time @ my cost and to which if i left my role i was free to go with no cost to the practice.
TRY::: ICS learning they do infection prevention and control
open uni again do small courses for cross infection
BDNA they offer the OHI course this can be done online
There is a cost to all the above but they all count to CPD

Hope this helps a little
x

Reg/Qualified Dental Nurse
The following user(s) said Thank You: emziewoo

11 years 5 months ago #2968 by Ekw
Hi there

We are similar in hospital, for CPD courses during the day they prefer them to be relevant to our jobs so some nurses find this restricting. With regards to full courses like OHE and radiography, sedation etc I think we are quite similar the radiography if you wanted to do it and pay yourself you could do it online which may suit your needs better if there's no evening courses. It does seem unfair when you want to gain more certificates but I can see the otherside of it also if say you wanted sedation certificate but your practice didn't do sedation sessions then I suppose you'd not get to use it once qualified and would quickly deskill, also your employer would be paying you when your away every course day so your not nursing and even when you'd qualify they'd not benefit from your new skills so would be hard for all involved. Maybe you could make a list of all the courses you are interested in and agree between you all the ones they would support you with? You'd think OHE would be handy the amount of patients a practice sees in a day! Sorry couldn't be more helpful I just try and find ones I can justify anything else that's purely just my own interests such as forensics I just try and see when it would be an appropriate time and day.

11 years 5 months ago #2967 by vickstar84
they shouldn't be able to halt you progressing as a dental nurse, but I would have a look in your contract as it may be included in that about not doing a course if it doesn't benefit the practice in your working hours ?? by courses do you mean post - qualifications? if it benefits the practice you could ask them if they would fund half or maybe some of the cost I don't think this is an unreasonable request! if not at least you have asked :) there is a company called dentrain they offer courses at quite affordable rates and I know kings college in London offer online courses (these are expensive some are £795 but if you are willing to pay go for it :)

11 years 5 months ago #2965 by emziewoo
hi guys :)

i had a conversation with my practice manager the other day about courses, we have been told that we have to pay for courses ourselves (which i don't mind) however that if we want to do a certain course that if its during work hours we wouldn't be able to do the course unless they think it would benefit the practice, do you think this is fair or unfair beings we would be paying for them ourselves, the thing that concerns me to is, are there any courses that really start after work aka 5pm for example radiography or OHI?

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New