nurses training to do in surgery whitening?

12 years 2 weeks ago #2069 by MLA
Hello, I think I might repeat what someone just said but this is from the GDC:
Which GDC registrants can undertake tooth whitening?
Until recently, it was the Council’s position that only dentists could undertake tooth whitening. At the Council meeting in June 2008, it was decided that in addition to dentists being able to carry out tooth whitening, dental hygienists and dental therapists, on the prescription of a dentist, can carry out tooth whitening as an additional skill.

It has also been decided that dental nurses can, as an additional skill, take impressions and make bleaching trays to a dentist’s prescription. Any registrant who undertakes work for which they are not sufficiently competent risks fitness to practise proceedings which may affect their registration.
Who has indemnity cover to carry out tooth whitening?
Registrants must always check with their defence organisation or other indemnity provider, because different organisations have different rules and policies. They should not assume that they will be covered in respect of the use of controversial bleaching products and should expressly discuss with their insurers the use of products which are illegal under the terms of the Cosmetic Products (Safety) Regulations. The registration of anyone practising in any field without appropriate indemnity arrangements will be at risk.
Where any GDC registrant is convicted of a criminal offence, we are told about the conviction and decide whether the registrant should be dealt with under our Fitness to Practise procedures.

In the light of that, I would be very careful.... :S
MLA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 2 weeks ago #2063 by Assessor
Well its not actually been banned in your area. Whitening was suspende.d Something happened Health and Safety investigated have given the go head to continue. So you can continue to whiten teeth. I asked my boss and he told me all about it.

12 years 2 weeks ago #2059 by stacey1504
we are in newbury, berkshire area

12 years 2 weeks ago #2057 by Assessor
Which area do you live in . Whitening/ inman aligner/6 mth smiles are aour biggest draws at the mo. Well i shall keep my ears open. perhaps one of the practices has had something go wrong.

12 years 2 weeks ago #2053 by stacey1504
i havent heard directly from GDC. my dentists told us, all practices round my area have had to stop using it.

12 years 2 weeks ago #2052 by Assessor
We havent heard anything have you heard from the GDC about this being banned. They are fully aware we carry out zoom.

12 years 3 weeks ago #2050 by stacey1504
do you know zoom is now banned?

12 years 3 weeks ago #2049 by Assessor
We havent had any problems in the 3 yrs weve been doing the zoom. I take the shdae and sometimes the preop photo and make the trays. the patients sign a consent form and we also explain the pros and cons to them. our therapist carries it out under the scrpit of the dentist.

12 years 3 weeks ago #2046 by stacey1504
we are only allowed to do the imp trays. plus zoom which is the whole light and cure is now banned. also not alot of dentists like to do whitening now as there are many risks and many patients come back with lot of problem teeth after whitening. now the percentage has lowered in whitening there is not such a could result

12 years 3 weeks ago #2044 by Assessor
Dental Nurses are not allowed to carry out the whitening . Yes we can take the imps amd make the whitening trays and discuss whitening with the patients thats about it. See the GDC guidelines.

12 years 3 weeks ago #2041 by SwewlyArtetle
Freshly I seek cool in the Internet classifieds - Boardfreeads.com. Intimate design, expertly great usability. And most importantly, free of charge ads and articles on all the topics that share you. It should be added, the situation offers international.

Who knows beside these classifieds ads louisa city ?

Important!!! Each member take on account. five USD

12 years 10 months ago #1452 by Assessor
The article clearly states Hygenists/Therapists So do not do this course unless you are one of the above.

12 years 10 months ago #1446 by fifi
It's obvious that you have researched this properly and have contacted all the right people.

Good luck with your course - make sure you get a pay rise! ;) :)

12 years 10 months ago #1443 by Assessor
There is a company in wigan that do whitening courses for £1500 theyt provide you with everything google them. But I wouldnt recommende you do it because the GDC are fining non dentists/therapists that do it.

13 years 1 month ago #1334 by LonelyAngel

Until recently, it was the Council’s position that only dentists could undertake tooth whitening. At the Council meeting in June 2008, it was decided that in addition to dentists being able to carry out tooth whitening, dental hygienists and dental therapists, on the prescription of a dentist, can carry out tooth whitening as an additional skill.

It has also been decided that dental nurses can, as an additional skill, take impressions and make bleaching trays to a dentist’s prescription. Any registrant who undertakes work for which they are not sufficiently competent risks fitness to practise proceedings which may affect their registration.

GDC

13 years 1 month ago #1330 by rhianp
the course is to do all the isolation part-gauze, retraction etc, pics, shade taking etc basically all the prep work and aftercare instructions the only bit we can't do is paint the whitening gel on and can't turn the light on. i have checked this out with my insurance etc and the course trainers. with regards to K2 seminars is is open to nurses aswell but again you get trained in all aspects of home and in surg whitening apart from the application of gel.

obviously we can't create/propose the treatment plan it is as usual on prescription of the dentist who also has to be on premisis when treatment is carried out but of course they will have to be on site to be able to apply gel for us.

since researching this i was talking to my discus rep and she is trained to teach this also and as we are 'valued customers' (spend a lot of money i think that means) she can actually do the training for us for free-result! again i have checked with her and the certificate is sufficiant enough for my insurance etc aslong as my dentist feels i am competent enough anbd the re are consent forms for whitening and an audit trail like all other procedures.

let me know if anyone wants anymore info

R

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #1311 by parker1

13 years 1 month ago #1302 by Kasia
According to scope of practice dental nurses are not allowed to apply any prescription based drugs as carbamide peroxide which you have in bleaching gels. Anything which uses chlorine in it is not approved as safe by any whitening association so be careful and do not put yourself in trouble!

13 years 1 month ago #1294 by Nerd
wait a minute, those are 4 dental Hygienists and therapist isnt it? have a read at the website.... :unsure:

13 years 1 month ago #1284 by rhianp
good news...

i was at the dentistry show yesterday and spoke to discus with regards to dental nurses and that my insurance says i can do it but no one are putting on courses...the people who run the courses cannot get the correct insurance to train us which is why we cant get trained although we can be trained in the isolation stages for example, the course lets us do all of the prep work, retractors placing, gauze, liquid dam etc all the procedure u until the bleach application and light positioning.

i have spoken to my principle and i am being put on the course this will enable the dentists to not have to book an hour and a half out in the diary, i can do the preperation and they come in do bleach and light then go away and call them back when 15 mins buzzer goes off etc.

i kow this isn't my origial plan but still it will add another string to my bow :)

here's the website of the course trainers-they do it on behalf of discus.

Rhiannon xxx

www.k2dentalseminars.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

13 years 2 months ago #1231 by kaz8598
Dental Nurses are not allowed to do bleaching so you will not find a course and neither will you get insured for it.

13 years 2 months ago #1205 by rhianp
does anyone know of any courses for nurses for in surgery whitening?

i called discus and they do not do courses for DN's and googled it but still no joy, any info would be lovely.

Rhian

p.s i know that my insurance will change also

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New