How to do I become a dental nurse tutor?

12 years 7 months ago #1755 by Assessor
Hi I was a dental nurse tutor I used to be based at Bury college where I took my A1 assessor award. I enrolled on a Cert/ed course at Runshaw and had to teach in then work place being observed. It is very hard to get into. I have taught also at Hugh Baird college in Bootle for a short while. But since qualifying as a tutor in 2007 ,Ive taught only the once.
So im inexperienced. On being made redundant from Bury I took up dental nursing again. I do give advice to trainees dental nurse on facebook. Also when we have a new trainee in work Ill be the one to train her. I did love the job when I had it. I also found out on numerous occasions that setting homework for the nurses some would come back the following session and tell me that the manageress said I got it wrong etc. I would say tell her to teach the class then.
My mentor at Bury was the lovely Mary Moss. She taught me everything I know about assessing and teaching. You do definately need to Know your stuff. Try Dentatrain, Tempdent, Sharon Grant at Preston is excellent. Bury College. If i must say it Alder training in Liverpool . Thats another story. :silly:
The following user(s) said Thank You: natalielouise91

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 8 months ago #1753 by ddw1740
I am a Dental Nurse Tutor, this is the route I took. First of all I became involved in training/mentoring in the workplace then enrolled at college to do the Further and Adult Education Certificate. I did some voluntary teaching sessions at my local college (DN Course) to gain some experience and was lucky enough to be given some paid sessions. I went on to become course leader. I also got another part time teaching position on another DN course. I have since gone on to complete a Cert Ed, PGCE and MA in Education. I am Course Leader for a full time DN programme. I won't say it's easy but there are opportunities out there. My advice would be to get some experience and a teaching qualification which will put you in a great position should something come up. A basic teaching qualification will allow you to teach in further education but You need a PGCE for University courses. Go for it it's a great job and a brilliant way to progress your career. Hope this is useful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: natalielouise91

13 years 2 months ago #1192 by tapiwa
hie.
I did want to become a denta nurse tutor once and i had a very good mentor. she adviced me to take on a teaching qualification such as Certificate in Higher Education. now i live in the south and it is offered at Portsmouth university or if you cannot afford uni(with the recent rises in university fees) you can look into doing the course through a college and take it from there. the other optionn is if you have a first degree you can opt to study the PGCE(post graduate certificate in education)....thats what i found out. good luck

p.s i think you can also do evening courses so that you are not frustrated by your employer about time off....llllloll :laugh:

13 years 3 months ago #1150 by Walshy25
If I can get hold of any news/info I'll definitely pass it on :)

13 years 3 months ago #1148 by lynn55
Hi

I have been trying to find out myself about being an assessor, but like yourself no information anywhere.

If there is a dental course running near you, you can ask if they need any tutors??

I have a seen a few advertised but just a bit too far for myself to travel, there dosn't seem too many dental nurse courses running around where I live.

Good luck in your search.

13 years 4 months ago #1147 by Walshy25
Would any other nurses out there know what I would have to do to become a dental nurse tutor, assessor or examiner?
I want to develop my career and I don't think that is going to happen in my current job. The NEBDN don't run any courses and I'm finding it hard to get any information.
Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New