× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Emerg Drugs - Buccal midazolam

6 years 4 months ago #8514 by Jellybean
Thanks for this. They certainly seemed to make it sound difficult!
I've called two other companies this morning (Kent and Aroschem) who have made it a lot easier.
Thanks for the reassurance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 4 months ago #8510 by janet123
Hi Jellybean,

There have been no such recent changes to the use of midazolam.
Midazolam has only ever been licensed for the treatment seizures in children - however we can use it in adults "unlicensed" in the case of an emergency. It is the dentist's choice to make the decision to use an unlicensed medication and not that of your supplier. Guidelines by the UK resuscitation council still recommend the use of midazolam in adults for the treatment of seizures - i would let your supplier know this and that the dentist will be using it "off the label" as it were, or i would move to a new supplier. Another thing the dentist could do is write a private script to get it from a pharmacist.

6 years 4 months ago #8509 by Jellybean
Hi guys,

I have just contacted our supplier (Wright cottrell) to query ordering a new Buccal midazolam for our emergency drugs kit.
I was told that there have been major changes and the drug shouldn't be used on anyone over 18, the dosage has changed and that the company can no longer supply requisition forms as it can leave them liable.

Has anyone got any more info on this? Should I be ordering something to be used on adults with epilepsy?

Thanks in advance

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New