× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Implant nurses please help :)

6 years 6 months ago #8426 by Jellybean
Don't be nervous! You'll be fine. It's fantastic that you are willing to take over this position in the first place and it sounds like the perfect time to progress your skills and knowledge on more procedures.
With 3 years experience in nursing you already know most of what's required!
In my experience the one thing people struggle to grasp it that you're either a 'clean' or a 'dirty' nurse. If you are 'dirty' Don't touch the sterile things, if you're 'clean' don't touch the non sterile things - that obviously include your hair/face/any surface that isn't covered with a sterile cover.
People always make mistakes but it's the best way to learn.
Focus on what your being told by the nurse - I always got distracted by what the dentist was doing and the procedure but it's the nurses job/role you're there to watch.
Depending on the way your practice works I'd imagine in the future you may be expected to check stock levels of sterile/surgical equipment and maybe place orders for implants and GBR materials.
Obviously set up and clean down for the procedure. Retraction and suction! Make sure the patient is comfortable and happy. You're dentist may want you to pass over instruments so you may have a few new instruments to learn names of. It'd be good to familiarise yourself with the instruments before you take over the role completely but this will also become easier with time.
I can only speak from my experience but I hope this helps!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ToothLady_97

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 6 months ago #8425 by ToothLady_97
Hi there, I am seeking some advice. I am a qualified dental nurse and have been qualified for about 6 months and have approx 3 years nursing experience over all. The implant nurse in my practice has left and the other one is due to shortly leave, meaning I have to take on this role as the only other qualified nurse. I am excited for this but nervous - there are only 2 implants before the nurse leaves so I have 2 to learn everything in! Would any implant nurse mind explaining briefly what I will be doing and any tips for me - I am going to be the 'dirty' nurse this Friday for my first one! :O i am very worried.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New