× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

what to do next?????

6 years 8 months ago #8377 by SmilingDCP
Hiya!

I have gone on to train as a Hygienist. There are a lot of options available to you and I know people who have gone on to the following:
Sedation
OHE
Practice Management
Hygiene/Therapy
Dentistry
Orthodontic Nursing
Orthodontic Therapy

Lots of options, but it depends on what peaks your interest!
:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 8 months ago #8370 by Winnie75
Hi All
There is the opportunity of doing the fluoride application course (which is available here at dental nurse network online) and you can then treat kids or adults for topical fluoride. At my practice we only have an NHS contract for Kids and we have been struggling to meet targets. So one of our dentists suggested we start a programme to help the kids with their OH. So after a check up if the dentist thought they had a mod/high caries risk they would be put on a 3 monthly recall and see one of the nurses where we would discuss OH and apply Fluoride. It great fun and we have even started going to schools and teaching the kids about good OH.
There are all sorts of other opportunities, such as becoming a trainer, manager, treatment plan coordinator, Botex, derma fillers, you just have think about where you want to be in 5 years times and be pro-active.

6 years 9 months ago #8340 by Kelly_Wcampbell
Hello dear, Welcome to the forum. I hope you will find the best answer for your question.

6 years 9 months ago #8331 by chapstick
I feel in a similar predicament, not really sure where I stand in my practice and if I should do any courses to help myself, didn't really know how the oral health one would help but seeing a few patients a couple every month or so sounds like a great idea, we have the odd one or 2 that need OH advice, being a private practice, I have to say we don't get loads, but definitely those that do need advice should get it and it sounds like something nurses should definitely do.
hope this helps you, it helped me reading these comments
thank you

6 years 9 months ago #8329 by h.t3112
I did the oral health education course a few years ago and I feel it gave me a bit more responsibility and a bit more pay so was worth it for me! We have a small practice and only have a surgery available for me on a Tuesday which is when I see my patients when I have any. I only see patients if the dentist is worried about their OH, after fixed ortho, after an implant crown fit etc. I probably only see a few every month though!

6 years 10 months ago #8299 by xxleah89
hi, im a qualified dental nurse and have been now for 5yrs+, Ive also passed my dental radiography course. I don't know what to do with myself next. I have looked into the oral health education course but not sure if It will be a waste of money if I don't decide to go to university after. I have also looked into the treatment coordinator course as well.
I wondered what other paths nurses have gone down once qualified?

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New