× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Strange Employment issue

6 years 11 months ago #8276 by h.t3112
in my opinion if you made it clear that you couldn't work Wednesdays from the beginning then although it might be annoying for them, it isn't really your problem. Its no concern of theirs why you are off, it should make no difference whether you are off due to illness/childcare/another job/other commitment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dentalnurse6

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 11 months ago #8270 by dentalnurse6
Thanks for your feedback......no they don't have to make adjustments for me as I'm there on my contracted days........The problem I think is that they need someone to step in on Wednesdays when someone else goes sick and want me to justify why I can't.....I have taken legal advice and I don't have to comply with a medical report. I've also been told that it could be they are considering changing my contract....although they haven't stated that...If that is the case they have to give me formal notice of the change within 4 weeks. If they do that, I'll be off lol.......The cheek of it is quite astonishing!!

6 years 11 months ago #8267 by pDN
As you aren't contracted to work a Wednesday you don't have to provide any information of what you do on a Wednesday. (It's your time not theirs)Although if you did require days of to attend a medical appointment no one has the right to know why or what for.
Apart from if there is a requirement to make adjustments at work to accommodate, which I presume isn't the case.

6 years 11 months ago #8265 by whitelock
Hi,
To me this sounds odd. They've employed you part-time. What has it got to do with them what your illness is or the reason you can't work on your day off that has been agreed from the start?
I wouldn't be giving in.

6 years 11 months ago #8264 by dentalnurse6
HI I wondered if anyone could offer an opinion please. I'm employed part time as a nurse. I choose part time as I have a medical condition and find I need a day off mid week. This works well for me and has been my working pattern for a decade. I accepted a job last autumn and made it clear from the beginning that I couldn't work Wednesdays. My contracted days are clearly set out on my contract. The contract does state the employer can 'request' I work different hours. I am currently under review with a health matter but make all the appointments on my days off. I don't have a sick record to speak off and work extremely well when at work. However, today my PM has asked me to provide a doctors report to explain why I can't work Wednesdays. I think they are out of order to request I justify my day off quite honestly!!! They have problems staffing on some days due to another employees ill health but that's not my problem is it?!?! I'd be grateful for any feedback regarding what they have have asked of me. Thanks in advance.

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New