× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Pre sterilized pouches ready

6 years 11 months ago #8246 by Teesey
Hi all

thanks for all the comments on this subject. I have come to the conclusion that I have obviously been making more work for myself all these yrs and should just be taking pouches from the boxes to bag once instruments clean and dry. I am very surprised that CQC didn't pick me up on this?
I will revert to the latter

thanks all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 11 months ago #8242 by h.t3112
we have two autoclaves, one is vacuum and one isn't. we use them both equally, depending which is free. we pre bag the ones for the vacuum and don't pre bag them for the non vacuum. then we date them equally and put the cycle numbers on them. its how I was always taught! the bags are not 'sterile' I guess, but they are clean from the box. I think this is fine, and wasn't questioned in the cqc visit that we had 2 years ago, but im sure things have changed since then so who knows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teesey

6 years 11 months ago #8241 by jmoss
I have never heard of this before and was not told this when I did my training. But then again the tutor didn't specify anything with regards to bags being sterilised or not sterilised.

If you use a non vacuum autoclave and sterilise the bags, doesn't this then make it look like instruments have been sterilised by a vacuum autoclave when they haven't?

From HTM01-05
• the sterilization indicator confirms the pack has
been subjected to an appropriate sterilization
process (if a type B sterilizer is used);

It doesn't say anything about pre-sterilising bags if an N type autoclave is used.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teesey

7 years 4 days ago #8239 by Teesey
Hi J moss
I understand what you are saying completely but I was always under the impression that the pouches had to be sterilized too???. Do they not then??
Im I correct in reading you right that once you remove the instruments on the tray they can go into unsterilized pouches?? Im sure this was not the case when i was in training as I wouldn't have been doing it this way all these yrs.

7 years 1 week ago #8232 by jmoss
I don't understand why you would need to sterilize an empty bag? When we had a non vacuum autoclave all the instruments went in naked and then we bagged after. We never autoclaved bags on their own. As soon as you open the autoclave door on a non vacuum the instruments are no longer sterile anyway.

7 years 2 weeks ago #8223 by Teesey
Hi guys
Think I have confused everyone I have an ses 2000 n type non vacum autoclave wherw the instruments go in not in pouches the pouches have to be sterilised before use what I want to know is can I bulk sterilized bags and have standing in the clean area or just sterilize what what I need at time
Thanks

7 years 2 weeks ago #8221 by Eian01
The pouches are already sterilized, no need to over do it. Just put the instruments and vacuum them and they are ready for use

7 years 3 weeks ago #8219 by eshaw
I have never pre sterilized pouches, we put the instruments in them and then use a vacuum autoclave, is using a no vacuum the items are no longer sterile when there door is open so it would be a wasted exercise for them.

7 years 3 weeks ago #8212 by Teesey
Hi guys
Hopefully someone can answer this all the practices I have worked at have had batches of pouches/bags pre sterilized ready in the clean area for instruments to.be put In recently the dentist I now work for queried if I should be pre sterilizing and not just putting the appropriate no of bags needed with the cycle? Cqc have never questioned this so I am now unsure what the correct answer is
Anyone help

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New