× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

practical osce 2017

7 years 2 months ago #8112 by Katieandfras
How did everyone find the exam ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 2 months ago #8104 by janet123
High Speed

If its short and parallel like this || then its a fissure bur - cavity preparation and removal of old restorations
If its long and parallel like this || then its a shoulder bur - uses to prepare teeth for crowns (if it has a rounded edge as opposed to a flat head then its a chamfer bur, still used to prep for crowns but slightly different.
If its shaped like this /\ with a yellow band its a fine diamond - used to finish composite restorations so they're smooth

Slow Speed
Usually all slow speed burs are used to remove caries - you can tell theyre slow speed cause they have a latch at the base
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouSilk

7 years 2 months ago #8102 by LouSilk
I should be sitting my OCSE this year.
I have no idea about the burs. I have my own little names for each one which helps me remember which my dentist is asking for.
Do we really need to know what each one is used for? :ohmy:

7 years 3 months ago #8080 by jmoss
I bought an instrument book from amazon but I don't think it has much on burs and to be honest, I didn't find it that helpful. The best way to learn is to ask your dentist if you can choose the burs. I had to do the same for extraction forceps and my dentist always chose them. He was happy to let me do it (sometimes I was wrong but he explained why and which ones I should have got out.)

7 years 3 months ago #8072 by jayana
hi this will be my second time sitting, in the first was a station with burs and uses very detailed uses not just removes caries etc ..... my dentist usually chooses these so i was at a loss with some, i have done research at work and also have searched the web, does anyone have any info burs please/

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New