× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

becoming a hygienist

7 years 8 months ago #7832 by Lozzywozzy86
I've been accepted onto an access course which I believe is equivalent to an a level. I'm also doing radiography in September and gcse maths to further my grades. On the diplomas they ask for minimum gcse and a range of other options to get in so I am trying to do as much this year ready for next year applying.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 8 months ago #7805 by sophomoreslump8
I'm looking at doing dental therapy in the next couple of years. I will be going for the diploma one as I don't have the a-levels to get in. But Diploma courses take on the face you are a dental nurse and takes that an a-level equivalent. It's worth looking into. Essex do a dental hygiene course for 2 years, then you can apply to do the third year in therapy and get a degree at the end- but they don't purely rely on a-level like an actual uni course/

7 years 8 months ago #7787 by Lozzywozzy86
Kings, barts, eastman, Manchester, Sheffield....

You can do diploma. The hygienist at my practice did a diploma. She says go for diploma and my friend who did the degree said go for the degree. Not sure what to do and whether just to apply to all and see what happens

7 years 8 months ago #7783 by Teesey
Hi Lozzywozzy

??? a diploma in dental therapy really must admit that I haven't heard of that one. thought that all hygiene and therapy routes were degree level as fall just short of the dental of 5 years. Can I ask where you have seen a diploma version just for my reference..

thanks

7 years 8 months ago #7780 by Lozzywozzy86
I'm wanting to become a hygiene therapist. Could anyone give me any advice on courses. I know you can do a diploma and also a degree. The diploma is shorter and you don't have to pay and the degree is 3 years and you have to pay...Do employers look at whether you have a diploma or the degree?

Pros and cons to both if anyone knows.

Thanks

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New