× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

New to dental nursing but qualified - help please!

7 years 9 months ago #7759 by chapstick
I remember feeling like this when I started out. I watched the nurse I was taking over from working with the dentist I would be working with together and thinking, OMG they don't even talk to each other and they know what each other wants/needs/is going to do next. I thought I would never be as good, but it comes so quickly. within a few months I was told I was up to a good speed and had picked thing s up really well, and was given a pay rise. :cheer:
So don't panic, ask the dentist for help, tell him you aren't feeling really confident and might need a few pointers for a few weeks but you'll get it I'm sure.
x
The following user(s) said Thank You: kaakaa1988

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 9 months ago #7743 by kaakaa1988
Thank you for your advice!

It does make sense not to worry or panic. I just want to do well and make a good impression and not have the dentist think I'm useless! When I was in college placement I never had to open or shut down the surgery and there was always a dental nurse around me to help including taking over treatments whilst I did the cleaning of instruments so it's jut a bit scary on how I will manage to leave the dentist to do that without holding them back.

7 years 9 months ago #7742 by Nicky Noo 72
Hi there, I'm sure nearly all dental nurses on here have felt like this at some point. I'm a practice manager and i always tell my new members of staff not to worry about not be able to do something, ask for help and ask as many questions as you need to. It will take time but I bet a few months down the line you'll be wondering what you were worrying about.

7 years 9 months ago #7741 by kaakaa1988
Hi all.

I am looking for some advice.

I qualified last year as a dental nurse but haven't worked in a practice since ( wasn't sure if it was the career for me after placement). I have finally got a job in a practice with one dentist and I am going to be the main dental nurse. However as I haven't worked in a practice before a lot of things are still relatively new to me.

How do I manage my time e.g cleaning surgery between patients, sterilising equipment, learning computer system and how to mix materials as the practice use different materials I have never used before! How do I pick my speed up if I am not used to some things? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I want to do well in this job but I am kind of panicking as I'm still quite new and not sure how the dentist will be.

I was only at college for one year and in a dental practice one day per week so don't have much experience although dentist did say they will help train me but said I need to learn my time management . Help anyone?

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New