× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Help from nurses! Big decision

6 years 6 months ago #8449 by Nurseydental
Hey lucy. How are you getting on now. Ive just started and what you wrote here couldnt be more spot on

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 9 months ago #7761 by chapstick
Sorry to hear your story
please speak to you PM and/or college
This woman is a bully
You do need a thick skin to be a dental nurse, sometimes the dentist might seem as though they are getting arsy with you when things aren't going to plan, but they are just getting cross with themselves and not you, the nurse, ( or in my experience this has been the case anyway)
this woman sounds as though she is a bit up herself. She may be a dentist and be a good one and been to uni for 5-7 to train, but that doesn't give her the right to belittle someone who is trying to help her do that job. She might want to remember that she wouldn't be able to do a good job if she didn't have a nurse, and if she wants a good nurse then she needs to train that nurse up to a level which she feels is acceptable.
please speak up and say something or you'll end up hating your job and give it up and regret it later.
x

7 years 10 months ago #7692 by Teesey
Hi there Lucynurse1

Being a dental nurse is not an easy job by no stretch, you do learn to develop a thick skin as time goes on believe me. I have been in nursing on and off for 31 years and I have worked for all sorts of different dentists, male and female. I must admit that when I was training I worked for a female dentist who was very similar to your situation now. very bullish and her attitude stank with myself and patients, I certainly didn't think it fair that the trainee was thrown in with this dentist when there were other qualified nurses on the premises, little did i know that no one wanted to work with her!!! and they had trouble keeping nurses in this surgery. I spoke to the practice manager abt my concerns and also the college, then there was a meeting to iron out issues. I am not a meek and mild nurse which helped me and I wasnt having this woman drive me away from a career id wanted to do for a long while, so i persevered and passed my exam, waited the year I had to after passing and then got myself outta there, I now work for an old style dentist who is coming to the end of his career who basically does what I want. what im trying to say is in a highly stressful job dentists rely on nurses to pick up the pieces and at times it can all become too much, but there is no excuse for bad manners etc so try and approach the college or PM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nurseydental

7 years 10 months ago #7691 by Lucynurse1
Hi everyone

I've been working as a trainee dental nurse for less than 2 years now and I absolutely love the job and the nursing, however I really don't get on with the dentist that I work with everyday. She's impatient and doesn't seem to understand that I'm still training and learning. She is very difficult to work with, and makes me feel really uncomfortable in the surgery and nervous, so then it's hard for me to be interactive with the patient when they come in because I feel she's constantly judging me and watching me to slip up. She has got a really bad attitude and she huffs and puffs at the smallest things. She talks down to me, also in front of the patients may I add, so makes me feel really small. Some days I think I'm a good dental nurse but she shuts me down and makes me think that I am useless. Lately she has said I need to speak up more and ask more questions however, she makes me so nervous to even ask a question because I fear it may be a stupid question and sometimes I get really sarcastic answers which makes me go really red and nervous. She's deffiently making me question whether dental nursing is for me but I do absolutely love the job and would love to carry on.

And it's the risk if I leave this practice and start working with someone else, who knows that person may be worse. The practice before this one that I worked at I had to leave too cause the dentist was making me cry everyday and was not a nice person at all. She is some what better than him but I feel constantly on edge at work and don't want to go through life hating my job. I am only 20 too, and it's draining me outside of work too, and doesn't help my confidence at all.

Also if I do leave this practice I don't know how my course will fit into it. After my 6 month probation they put my pay up a little bit so I could pay monthly for the dental nurse academy course out of my own money. The dentist I'm working with is the witness and has done the witness course and everything, and I'm waiting for my log in atm so I can start my ROES next month.

I try to think maybe I can let it go over my head and get through it but it's making me miserable and I'm not a very confident person as it is so she makes me 10 times less confident. Also it's annoying cause she makes me so nervous that I start becoming clumsy because I know she's watching.

It's a family run practice but it's annoying that both practises I've worked at I've been thrown in with the big boss who turns out to be not nice at all.

I was thinking mayb if I worked with a dentist that was employed too maybe they will work a bit differently

Thanks for listening ☺️ Going to need some advice on this one I think

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New