× Welcome to the Dental Nurse Network forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

OSCE

7 years 10 months ago #7626 by hasinagrg
Hi marywin how did ur osce go

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 10 months ago #7612 by hasinagrg
How did the osce go girls

7 years 10 months ago #7589 by marywin2015
Thank you for understanding darling, Good luck for tom.!

7 years 10 months ago #7587 by hasinagrg
We understand u marywin..hope u did well today best of luck for your results...

7 years 10 months ago #7586 by marywin2015
Hi i amnreally sorry we were warned not to share information about the exam, or face being removed

Originally i thpught it would be ok, but no know there are severe consequences if found to be sharing the information. :(

7 years 10 months ago #7501 by Frankys
My exam is in 11th june saturday in crawley...

7 years 10 months ago #7495 by hasinagrg
Well i didnt ask for my result as i knew it will be a waste of my 50 pounds ...when is your exam and which test cetner are you goin to

7 years 10 months ago #7494 by Frankys
Yes jenni 27 i had to pay £50 for my results and it wasnt worth it.. They didnt evaluate much and gave reasons which didnt even make sense..so gutted

7 years 10 months ago #7488 by hasinagrg
Hi frankys its my second time as well...did u ask for your results ....

7 years 10 months ago #7482 by Frankys
omg this is my 2nd attempt as well, giving osces, i hope i pass , giving my exam in crawley.. and thankyou stephanie for help, m trying to revise every thing

7 years 10 months ago #7474 by hasinagrg
Hi stephanie
You are truly god sent thank you so much for your help...

7 years 10 months ago #7473 by STaylor94
Ok read this girlies, I hope this will be help to everybody.

I did my OSCE exam June 2014.

The exam was about an hour and I think there was about 10 stations which lasted 4 minutes each. There was about 10 of us in a group. They are very strict on appearance. Dont have any brightly colored hair if possible, minimal make up, no strong perfume and cover any piercings/tattoos and have closed shoes. Be sure to have hair tied back and bring your uniform with you to get changed once you are there.

The first bit of advice I can give is at any station always introduce yourself and say 'Hello there, my name is Stephanie Taylor, please assume I am wearing PPE and that I've washed my hands' especially at any clinical stations and if there is any PPE in front of you be sure to put it on!

In consideration to the exam be sure to study, study, study everything you've been taught. Important topics like medical emergencies, oral hygiene, fissure sealants, advice on dentures, mixing, charting etc are very likely to come up. I really found that practicing all this stuff on a family member or friend helped. For example giving advice on key topics as mentioned before..Just basically talking to them like you would as a dental nurse at the surgery is the way do it. For example saying something like 'Hi there my name is Stephanie Taylor and I am a dental nurse at this practice and the dentist has asked me to give you some advice regarding your new dentures etc'. You just have to think that these are patients who don't really know anything and just keep it simple and clear and just practice the charting as much as you can.

On the OSCE stations where you have to give advice, you might find there is an object on the table to help you. For example, the station where we had to give advice on dentures, there was a leaflet about how to take care of them which you could give to a patient and on another station was a headteacher asking if a pupil had attended his dental appointment and a day list was on the table so we had to turn it over to keep confidentiality so be sure to always check the table to see if there is anything on there. After giving a patient advice be sure to ask them if there is any questions they would like to ask.

The hot medical emergency topics are fainting and diabetes attack but we got an epileptic seizure so be sure to study everything. As mentioned before timing yourself for 4 minutes and practising on a family member really helped me. Make sure you keep calm and be reassuring. Look to see if the patient is wearing anything like a scarf or a tie and loosen it if you can, remove anything heavy from their hands and say things like 'can we call someone to come and pick you up', 'would you like us to rearrange your appointment' 'did you take your medication this morning etc' - just be caring like I'm sure you already are.

With mixing they are very keen on alginate, kalzinol and Poly F. Practice at work as much as you can and if you're not happy with your mix be sure to explain to the examiner why - to runny..to much liquid..not enough powder etc. Make sure you always check the expiry date first, fluff the bottle, always put the lid back on and wipe the spatula - its the little things that make a big difference.

When you have finished at each station say thank you for very much and move to the chair within the zone - they explain everything before hand so don't get worked up about what you need to and there are always lost of helpers on hand to help if you're stuck at all.

Other stations we had was selecting instruments for a filling - again this is something we do all day everyday but again if you're not sure ask a collegue for some help as all procedures are different. For example dont pick up an amalgam plugger for a composite filling, we also had to explain how we would sterilize a hand piece, labeling extraction forceps and showing how we prepare the work surface and selecting what we would need for a fluoride application and labeling faults on a radio graph.

Its pretty much all the stuff we do at work all day every day but just putting it into a different context.

Please email me personally if anyone wants to chat one to one.. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. :)

The examiners were all friendly and only want to see you pass.

Study hard, keep calm and try your best.

I promise it wont be half as bad as you think.

Good luck.

Stephanie x
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bubba1128

7 years 10 months ago #7471 by hasinagrg
Hi staylor i dont live in the area yhat u have mentioned but it will be of great help if you could help us too with the exams..

7 years 10 months ago #7469 by STaylor94
Are any nurses taking the exam that live in hertfordshire? I can really help anyone if they are

xx

7 years 11 months ago #7420 by hasinagrg
Thank you

7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #7419 by marywin2015
Ok darling no prob.

7 years 11 months ago #7418 by hasinagrg
Hi marywin mine is the following day could you please let me know what sort of station came in during ur exam ☺️
Thank you

7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #7416 by marywin2015
Hello jenni27, thank you so much for your help, BTW my exam will be on june 10th , how about you?

7 years 11 months ago #7415 by hasinagrg
Hello marywin2015
When is ur osce and what time is it .

7 years 11 months ago #7414 by hasinagrg
Hi pammie thank you for your advise
Well i will be sitting for my osce this june again secondtime.i did mention that i washed my hand using handwashing technique and also stated that i was wearing my gloves.i didnpretty well in my first osce practical but i dont know what when wrong that i failed.will u be invigilatung this june osce.

7 years 11 months ago #7409 by Pammie55
Hi
I am a helper at the OSCHI for 3 years. Do not be scared. They have actors portraying patients and the examiners unfortunately cannot speak to you they just listen which can be a little of putting. But a tip to use is that for the last 3 years at all the station I have helped at not one nurse has told the examiner that they have washed there hand and are waring PPE which you have to do. Just say it as it will be noted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: marywin2015

7 years 11 months ago #7407 by marywin2015
Jenni27 & DEBBSTRI90 , thank you so much guys for your help! I really appreciate it! I really do! Xxx good luck for all of us!

7 years 11 months ago #7403 by hasinagrg
hi there i will be sitting for my osce exams in june and this will be my second time..
the stations we got during the first time was
epileptic fit
labelling burs
manual cleaning and inoculation injury
disposable waste handling
avulse tooth advice
kalzinol mix
pla ing out rct instruments for stage 1 and booking appt
mixing alginate and hand washing technique
xray faults
placing out instruments for crown prep
hope this might be of help and from what i heard the coming test will be the same and the main setup that comes in evry test is medical emergencies,mixing cememt,mixing alginate,handwash or rub,labelling either burs or for eps ,xray faults, hope this might be of help

7 years 11 months ago #7402 by DEBBSTRI90
I also have my practical exam in June and really nervous. I think you just need to revise as much as possible everything.
Definitely
Medical emergencies
Mixing materials
Setting up for treatment (Wiley Blackwell basic guide to dental instruments is good for set up equipment)
Charting
Practice giving oral hygiene advice (dentures) (ortho appliance)
X-ray faults
Decontamination
Burs
Local anesthetic (possibly patient might have a medical condition and cant have adrenaline)
Its hard to say what you should be studying as Im sure NEBDN think of numerous new stations.
Hope this helps

7 years 11 months ago #7398 by marywin2015
Hello everyone! I am so nervous because my practical exam is will be on june 2016. I dont know what to revise, i am so stress out as i dont have a placement at the moment. Any advise guys? Thank you!

Moderators: DNN

Level 3 Reception Course April 22nd

nebdn level 4 fluoride varnish application

DNN diploma banner

BrightBites Sponsor Box New